[Bier] BIER-TE looping example (was: Re: Genart last call review of draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-10)

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Fri, 13 August 2021 17:18 UTC

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 19:17:37 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
Cc: gen-art@ietf.org, bier@ietf.org, draft-ietf-bier-te-arch.all@ietf.org, last-call@ietf.org
Subject: [Bier] BIER-TE looping example (was: Re: Genart last call review of draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-10)

Thanks, Robert

Let me quickly reply on your looping example, and Cc bier list,
because the problem as you describe does not exist thanks to how
BIER-TE handles DNC, but maybe you and others want to chime in whether
or not your example of an attempted attack by misconfiguration and
what it results in would be good to add to the text anyhow, and
if you think so, then where (security considerations or any
other place you think it fits). Will be happy to add it for the
next rev, if more people than you think it would be helpfull.

inline...

On Sat, Aug 07, 2021 at 03:42:02PM -0700, Robert Sparks via Datatracker wrote:
> If you have the following configuration (best read in a fixed-width font):
>
> BFRA: p1 -> forward_connected(DNC) BFRC
>       p2 -> forward_connected(DNC) BFRD
>       p3 -> local_decap
>
> BFRB: p1 -> forward_connected(DNC) BFRC
>       p2 -> forward_connected(DNC) BFRD
>       p3 -> local_decap
>
> BFRC: p1 -> forward_connected(DNC) BFRA
>       p2 -> forward_connected(DNC) BFRB
>       p3 -> local_decap
>
> BFRD: p1 -> forward_connected(DNC) BFRA
>       p2 -> forward_connected(DNC) BFRB
>       p3 -> local_decap
>
> A single packet with bits (p1,p2,p3) introduced to any of the 4 BFR will
> produce an exponentially increasing amount of internal traffic, and traffic
> sent to whatever the local_decaped packets is configured for.
>
>          p3              p3
>         BFRA p1 ---- p1 BFRC
>               \     /
>                \   /
>                /   \
>               /     \
>         BFRB p2 ---- p2 BFRD
>          p3              p3
>
> This may be easy to achieve accidentally if following the suggestion for
> creating a bidirectional ring described in section 5.1.6.

 c0(p1,p2,p3) -> BFRA -> c1(p1) -> BFRC <- ttl expiry -> BFRA
                      -> c2(p2) -> BFRD <- ttl expiry -> BFRB
                      -> receive

Aka: The DNC flag on an adjacency will only keep the bit set on
the copy made for this bit, not on the other copies. The
forwarding pseudocode shows this by clearing all bits with
adjacencies first and then it sets back the bit for only
the adjacency when it has DNC flag.

In result, there will be 2 TTL expiring microloops,
one for  p1 between BFRC,BFRA and one for p2 between BFRD,BFRB,
and of course, these can overload links.  But there will be no
duplicate packets received.

This is something you could always do as well for ASM/SSM IP multicast
and BIER by a misconfiguration attack against RPF (aka: multicast static
routing misconfig attack) or with a single loop (as there is no replication)
for IP Unicast by attacking with a static route misconfig.

Of course, for BIER, IP multicast or IP unicast one could argue that
you may not provide these routing configuration options, but all routers
i know have them. And hopefully at some point we even have YANG
nodels representing such configuration options (static (m)routes).

Cheers
    Toerless

--
---