Nimrod documents

Noel Chiappa <jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu> Wed, 17 June 1992 10:35 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1992 22:39:17 -0400
From: Noel Chiappa <jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu>
To: Big-Internet@munnari.oz.au, FORTINP@bnr.ca
Subject: Nimrod documents
Cc: jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu

	I've had a number of requests for the 'latest' Nimrod documents.
Here's a copy (slightly modified) of a message I sent recently on this topic
to another list:

--------

	A number of people have asked me about the status of documents about
my Nimrod plan for large scale routing and addressing in the Internet. I was
taking the position that I was going to rework the existing document
(available as an Internet-Draft) into two smaller and more easily digestable
documents, and that people might want to wait until that is done.
	Also, I have had some more recent thoughts on the general topic of
large scale routing and addressing, prompted by conversations with various
people, which deserve treatment, but the implications for the Nimrod
architecture itself are not large.

	The existing document was long and complex because it did two only
vaguely related things; it contained 1) an analysis of fundamental issues in
large scale routing and addressing, and 2) a plan, (including listing possible
optimizations and deployment issues) for a particular new routing and
addressing architecture for the IP family.  I concluded that the length and
complexity of the paper could be reduced if I split these two apart.

	I have now, after starting work on this, concluded that this idea,
although good, is not going to reduce the bulk of the Nimrod plan document
substantially. The bulk of the existing document is Nimrod material, and
it's not going to get much shorter.
	So, people who want something to read about Nimrod should go back to
the existing I-D (draft-chiappa-routing-00.txt). To save extra reading, you
can concentrate on sections 3 (particular 3.2 and 3.3*), 4 and skim sections
5, 6, and 7.

	Noel