Re: [BLISS] Comments on draft-procter-bliss-call-park-extension-04(Privacy Interactions)

"Scott Orton" <orton@nortel.com> Tue, 05 May 2009 13:40 UTC

Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 08:40:49 -0500
From: Scott Orton <orton@nortel.com>
To: Dale Worley <dworley@nortel.com>
Cc: bliss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [BLISS] Comments on draft-procter-bliss-call-park-extension-04(Privacy Interactions)

 Dale,
   I agree that if we use the temporary GRUU it will work. But my
concern is that we are now adding another requirement to the draft. If a
UA is requesting privacy either from its Proxy or by itself then they
have to also support draft-ietf-sip-gruu. Where making a simple change
to parking the call will work for all scenarios without causing another
draft to be implemented.

If the Refer is sent to the party being parked there is no need for a
special contact.  But both can be handled without a change to a client.
In addition the client does not even have to know that it is being
parked.

Sending the Refer to the client means that any client that supports
Refer can support being parked. I think we are adding complications by
requiring that a client support the draft-ietf-sip-gruu draft in order
to be parked.

To me Parking a call should require no development on the client being
parked since we do not want the functionality of the call park to be
dependant on the party being parked. As I do not necessarily control the
client being parked, I have no way of enforcing what that client
implements. If a user from the Yahoo domain calls a user in the Example
domain. The user in the Example domain needs to be able to park a call
from the user in the Yahoo domain. But I as a user in the example domain
will have no control over the clients in the Yahoo domain.

I really think it will be a mistake to try to enforce another draft as a
requirement to park a call. If the parking user subscribes to the dialog
event for calls that it parks then the park server could deliver the
orbit to the parking party.

In this way there is no need for the parked client to support any
particular draft except for Refer.

Scott