RE: RE: [bmwg] BMWG Last Call: draft-ietf-bmwg-igp-dataplane-conv -*** -10

sporetsky@reefpoint.com Mon, 10 April 2006 21:15 UTC

From: sporetsky@reefpoint.com
To: acmorton@att.com, bmwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: RE: [bmwg] BMWG Last Call: draft-ietf-bmwg-igp-dataplane-conv -*** -10
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:09:24 -0400

Yes Al.  You bring up an important distinction that
1. the Offered Load to the ingress interface of the DUT should equal the
maximum Throughput as defined in RFCs 1242 and 2544
AND
2. the Forwarding Rate as defined in RFC 2285 is measured at the egress
interfaces

Based upon our email thread and phone call I will make the following changes
for the -11 Terminology and Methodology documents->

TERMINOLOGY
FROM:
1. Introduction
.
.
.
   An example of Route Convergence as observed and measured from the
   data plane is shown in Figure 1.  The graph in Figure 1 shows
   Throughput versus Time.  Time 0 on the X-axis is on the far
   right of the graph.  The components of the graph and metrics are
   defined in the Term Definitions section.

                           Convergence    Convergence
                           Recovery         Event
                           Instant         Instant      Time = 0sec

           Maximum            ^              ^             ^
           Throughput--> ------\    Packet   /---------------
                                \    Loss   /<----Convergence
              Convergence------->\         /      Event Transition

        Recovery Transition       \       /
                                   \_____/<------Maximum Packet Loss

        X-axis = Time
        Y-axis = Throughput
                        Figure 1. Convergence Graph

CHANGE TO
   An example of Route Convergence as observed and measured from the
   data plane is shown in Figure 1.  The graph in Figure 1 shows
   Forwarding Rate versus Time.  Time 0 on the X-axis is on the far
   right of the graph.  The Offered Load to the ingress interface of
   the DUT SHOULD equal the measured maximum Throughput [5,6] of the DUT
   and the Forwarding Rate [7] is measured at the egress interfaces
   of the DUT.   The components of the graph and the metrics are defined
   in the Term Definitions section.

                          Convergence    Convergence
                           Recovery         Event
                           Instant         Instant  Time = 0sec

   Forwarding Rate =          ^              ^        ^     Offered Load =
        Offered Load --> ------\    Packet   /--------- <---Max Throughput
                                \    Loss   /<----Convergence
              Convergence------->\         /      Event Transition

        Recovery Transition       \       /
                                   \_____/<------Maximum Packet Loss

        X-axis = Time
        Y-axis = Forwarding Rate
                        Figure 1. Convergence Graph

FROM
3.14 Packet Sampling Interval
        Definition:
        The interval at which the tester (test equipment) polls to make
        measurements for arriving packet flows.

        Metrics measured at the Packet Sampling Interval may include
        Throughput and Convergence Packet Loss.

CHANGE TO
	. . .
        Metrics measured at the Packet Sampling Interval MUST include
        Forwarding Rate and Convergence Packet Loss.

ADD REFERENCES
1242 for Throughput
2544 for Throughput
2285 for Forwarding Rate

METHODOLOGY
FROM
3.2.7 Offered Load
   The offered Load MUST be the Throughput of the device as defined
   in [5] and benchmarked in [6] at a fixed packet size.
   Packet size is measured in bytes and includes the IP header and
   payload.  The packet size is selectable and MUST be recorded.
   The Throughput MUST be measured at the Preferred Egress Interface
   and the Next-Best Egress Interface.  The duration of offered load
   MUST be greater than the convergence time.  The destination
   addresses for the offered load MUST be distributed such that all
   routes are matched.  This enables Full Convergence [2] to be
   observed.

CHANGE TO
3.2.7 Offered Load
   . . .
   The Forwarding Rate MUST be measured at the Preferred Egress Interface
   and the Next-Best Egress Interface.  . . .

ADD REFERENCE
2285 for Forwarding Rate