RE: [bmwg] useful testing (was: Opinions on Benchmarking the BFDprotocol)

"Poretsky, Scott" <sporetsky@reefpoint.com> Tue, 20 March 2007 03:31 UTC

Subject: RE: [bmwg] useful testing (was: Opinions on Benchmarking the BFDprotocol)
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:30:46 -0400
From: "Poretsky, Scott" <sporetsky@reefpoint.com>
To: curtis@occnc.com, Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>
Cc: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>, Dave Katz <dkatz@juniper.net>, bmwg@ietf.org, David Ward <dward@cisco.com>

Curtis,  You will be happy to hear I changed my new email configuration.

Hi BMWG-ers,

Sorry I cannot join you this week in Prague.  I will be in Chicago.

The BFD topic is certainly of interest.  There are 3 existing official
BMWG work items that could be directly related.  These are

1.IGP Convergence Data Plane Benchmarking (status=completed WGLC and
Cross-Area Review)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-igp-dataplane-conv-m
eth-12.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-igp-dataplane-conv-t
erm-12.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-igp-dataplane-conv-a
pp-12.txt

Test cases for many Convergence Events are provided in the methodology.
Is it worth adding a test case for BFD?

2.Accelerated Stress Benchmarking (status=had a first WGLC with lots of
feedback)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-acc-bench-term-11.tx
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-acc-bench-meth-07.tx

The working group decided to breakout Layer 3 technology specific
methodologies into separate documents and work those after the
Terminology and General Methodology Guidelines are completed.  These
were written for EBGP and Operational Security (consistent with OpSec WG
work) and the intention of the work item is to be modular for support of
more methodologies.  The now expired methodology documents are
draft-ietf-bmwg-acc-bench-meth-ebgp-00.txt and
draft-ietf-bmwg-acc-bench-meth-opsec-00.txt.  Work will continue on
those after the Terminology and Methodology Guidelines docs are
complete.  BFD could certainly be addressed in this work item.

3.Sub-IP Protection Mechanisms (status=approaching request for a WGLC)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-protection-term-01.t
xt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-protection-meth-01.t
xt

This work item covers all protection mechanisms that operate below Layer
3 while benchmarking the Layer 3 performance of those mechanisms. It is
intended that this work item have a single terminology with multiple
methodologies.  The MPLS FRR methodology is the first.  BFD could
certainly be addressed in this work item.

Scott