RE: [bmwg] WLAN switch controller I-Ds for BMWG to consider

"Tom Alexander" <tom@veriwave.com> Fri, 13 July 2007 01:16 UTC

From: Tom Alexander <tom@veriwave.com>
To: 'David Newman' <dnewman@networktest.com>, bmwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [bmwg] WLAN switch controller I-Ds for BMWG to consider
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:15:49 -0700
Cc: "'Muninder Sambi (msambi)'" <msambi@cisco.com>, 'Jerry Perser' <jperser@veriwave.com>

David,

Thanks for your support, and for your detailed review and feedback. Let me
address each of your points in turn.

Item 1. Generally agreed. I've found several vendors (no names, please! ;-)
playing games with MAC protocol parameters to gain preferential access to
the medium. I was trying to avoid the notion of running a functional test on
the SUT, but you are quite correct that we need some way of either detecting
or, at a minimum, reporting these games. (If anyone on this list can point
us at an I-D or RFC to serve as an example, that would be great.)

Item 2. Also generally agreed. This is an area that has to be cleaned up.
There is a distinction between "open-air testing" (which should be heavily
discouraged or outlawed for serious benchmarking efforts) versus
"over-the-air testing" (which is done in calibrated anechoic chambers and is
therefore both predictable and reproducible). The document fuzzes over the
two. This needs to be fixed.

Item 3. Thanks for pointing this out - the next revision will make this
change.

Item 4. I confess that my professorial instinct to say "... and this is left
as an exercise for the reader" is showing through. :-) I will clean up all
the casual "etc"s in the next revision.

Again, I appreciate the review.

Best regards,

- Tom