Re: [bmwg] WLAN switch controller I-Ds for BMWG to consider

Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com> Sun, 22 July 2007 14:15 UTC

To: Jerry Perser <jerry@perser.org>
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com>
Subject: Re: [bmwg] WLAN switch controller I-Ds for BMWG to consider
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 10:16:25 -0400
Cc: bmwg@ietf.org

In message <200707201920.l6KJKth6019906@mail134c25.carrierzone.com>
"Jerry Perser" writes:

> Instead of arguing with Scott Bradner, would you mind reviewing the two WLAN
> Switch Benchmarking drafts and argue with us?  One of the reasons Tom
> Alexander is bringing the draft to the BMWG is to avoid these pitfalls.
> Your comments on the draft will help us make sure we have repeatable
> benchmarks, while keeping sight of real world traffic.

Maybe you missed the context.  I was arguing with Scott Bradner circe
1993 to mid to late 1990 about highly repeatable benchmarks vs real
world relevant benchmarks.

> Claims and crashes are not limited to Cisco.  Last year I worked with the
> esteemed David Newman on a public "Enterprise Wi-Fi Test" for Network World.
> When running WLAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology section 5.1.1, one of the
> vendors crashed repeatedly.  Before you start faulting the vendor, realize
> that they did not have a copy of WLAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology when
> verifying their beta code.

The router crashes I was talking about were in gear that was tested in
1993 to about 1997.  Interesting to note that there is gear out there
that still crashes on relatively simple benchmarks.

> Enterprise Wi-Fi needs to be tested.  Duke University is currently having
> problems with iPhones on their network
> (http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/071607-duke-iphone.html).  My focus
> is to find these problems with a simulated stimuli in a laboratory
> environment and to avoid follies like you mentioned.

Thanks for bringing me up to date on this.  As I mentioned earlier, my
focus has been on IP provider core and this is beyond the edges of the
IP provider network.

> And everyone else on the BMWG reflector is invited to comment on the WLAN
> Switch Benchmarking drafts.  They can be found at:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alexander-bmwg-wlan-switch-term-00
> .txt
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alexander-bmwg-wlan-switch-meth-00
> .txt
>
> Jerry Perser

OK.  Thanks.  You've convinced me that this is in scope for the WG.

Curtis