RE: [bmwg] Updates to MPLS Protection Meth/Term draft- Request forcomments/review

"Samir Vapiwala \(svapiwal\)" <svapiwal@cisco.com> Thu, 08 March 2007 14:28 UTC

Subject: RE: [bmwg] Updates to MPLS Protection Meth/Term draft- Request forcomments/review
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 09:28:28 -0500
From: "Samir Vapiwala (svapiwal)" <svapiwal@cisco.com>
To: bmwg@ietf.org
DKIM-Signature: v=0.5; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; l=17549; t=1173364112; x=1174228112; c=relaxed/simple; s=rtpdkim2001; h=Content-Type:From:Subject:Content-Transfer-Encoding:MIME-Version; d=cisco.com; i=svapiwal@cisco.com; z=From:=20=22Samir=20Vapiwala=20\(svapiwal\)=22=20<svapiwal@cisco.com> |Subject:=20RE=3A=20[bmwg]=20Updates=20to=20MPLS=20Protection=20Meth/Term =20draft-=20Request=20forcomments/review |Sender:=20 |To:=20<bmwg@ietf.org>; bh=Q6poQCi18aRwLF03Awu6VolFH3fjMUWiuEfzx/sif74=; b=RwslaGZ2WRPSds2soVwUaJgzp/hKUEGNHddDsLXyI22XQ3Kc8hJlCOa/cmC8OpzFQXiKU+sH m72ZejJYnhKnrnCXAdLLTL7v9N7BCPAO8g5JZKs/l8Bq9FPBK3vNH/Sk;

Further to Rajiv's earlier email we as MPLS Protection benchmarking
Author team would like to seek input to the following unaddressed items
on the mailing list so that we can get closure on these open items prior
to the BMWG meeting:

 Since the packet smapling interval recommended in the
"draft-ietf-bmwg-igp-dataplane-conv-meth-12.txt,  section 3.2.5
Convergence Time Metrics" may not be applicable to the MPLS FRR scenario
where failover times have to be below 45ms, here are some of our
thoughts or questions to the list:

1.	We would like to adapt similar approach the IGP convergence as
this defiinition applies to current work item
2.	We feel that 100ms is large for MPLS FRR application, under
which the target is always keeping the failover times below 45ms.
3.	We are considering changing this number to 10ms, and would
expect test tool to offer this smapling interval

Please provide your input to this suggested value so that we can have a
conclusion before the next meeting.

Regards,

MPLS Protection Benchmarking Author Team