FW: [bmwg] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-bmwg-dsmterm-05

Tony DeLaRosa <tdelarosa@ixiacom.com> Fri, 28 March 2003 00:02 UTC

From: Tony DeLaRosa <tdelarosa@ixiacom.com>
To: "'Perser, Jerry'" <jerry.perser@spirentcom.com>
Cc: 'Kevin Dubray' <kdubray@juniper.net>, 'Al Morton' <acmorton@att.com>, "'bmwg@ietf.org'" <bmwg@ietf.org>
Subject: FW: [bmwg] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-bmwg-dsmterm-05
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:02:37 -0800
Sender: bmwg-admin@ietf.org

Jerry,

The last time I checked, the deadline for dsmterm's last call was March 25,
and not the date of the IETF meeting.  Also, "no response" at the IETF
meeting does not mean consensus was achieved.

Concerns that were either discounted or ignored
Date	   Author			Subject
Notes
03/03/06 Barbara Denny 		Forwarding Congestion
No response yet to her last set of questions and no resolution to her
issue(s) raised
03/03/06 Mark E. Robinson	Forwarding Congestion
No response yet
03/03/14 Mark E. Robinson 	Forwarding Congestion
First question answered but dismissed the remaining questions.
03/03/21 Al	Morton 		Latency
Responded 3/27/2003
03/03/25 Sunil Kalidindi	Latency
No response yet
03/03/25 Sunil Kalidindi	Delay
No response yet

Section 3.1.3 Forwarding Congestion
<<Overloading versus Forwarding Congestion>>
My objection to this section was that the justification used to define
forwarding congestion was weak.  Your original premise for forwarding
congestion was that existing definitions were only applicable to ingress
interfaces which are not correct.  Your clarifying explanation in your
recent email is an improvement, however unfortunately, not documented in
this section.  As David Newman stated on a 3/14/2003 email, no methodology
should assume that "the test person ...understand[s] what he/she is doing."
Hence, the section should be rewritten to clear up any ambiguities.

<<Packet Loss Indicates Congestion>>
Yes, I agree with you that packet loss due to physical layer errors is
outside the scope of BMWG and that packet loss due to switching fabric
cannot be externally observed.  However, the RFCs you mentioned measured
packet loss for a specific configuration or condition.  In contrast, the
discussion in your section is very broad.  You are stating that ANY packet
loss indicates congestion.  This is where you open yourself up to comments
about all the reasons packet loss may occur.  This is why I suggest you
place a disclaimer if you wish to make that assertion.  Otherwise, I would
suggest providing scenarios and examples in the discussion on when exactly
packet loss is an appropriate symptom to indicate congestion.  Also, I would
avoid generic statements such as:

"Packet Loss, not increased delay, is the metric to indicate condition of
forwarding congestion", or
"...any device that cannot forward packets on one or more egress interfaces
is under forwarding congestion"

My proposal for rewriting this section (in this order)
1. Beef up the paragraph on why the overload definition is inappropriate
when enabling traffic control mechanisms
2. Add more description on the types of measurements used to indicate
Forwarding Congestion (delay and packet loss)
3. Add a more detailed explanation on why packet loss is preferred over
delay (BTW, RA99 is the wrong reference to use)
4. Expand on when packet loss is appropriate to indicate Forwarding
Congestion.  (i.e. If I send 5 packets and one or more gets dropped, does it
mean the egress interface is congested?)

Section 3.2.1 Channel Capacity
Can you point me to the appropriate thread archive/documentation?  I am not
entirely convinced that John Dawson's comments have been interpreted
correctly.

Section 3.2.4 Delay
<<Delay Usage>>
rfc956
rfc955
rfc813
rfc795
rfc793
rfc3449
rfc3439
rfc3096
rfc3095
rfc3019
rfc3002
rfc2682
rfc2626
rfc2508
rfc2461
rfc2330
rfc2213
rfc2205
rfc1850
rfc1801
rfc1633
rfc1479
rfc1470
rfc1323
rfc1257
rfc1165
rfc1123
rfc1077
rfc1045
rfc1017
rfc1005
rfc3414
rfc3272
rfc3246
rfc3148
rfc3134
rfc3125
rfc2757
rfc2214
rfc2194
rfc2021
rfc1821

<<does the BMWG wish to restrict Delay to this definition?>>
Sorry Jerry, this question was not meant to you but to the reflector.  I
know your position.

<<Delay is delay>>
I did not say that the implementer defines the arbitrary goalposts.  I was
just offering the replacement text for "Delay is delay".  You may use my
recommendation and then follow it with a statement saying "For this
definition, the goalposts defined will be the last bit... and the first
bit..."

<<How Delay measures the IP datagram>>
Generally the term "IP Packet" refers only to the IP header +
datagram/payload portion exclusive of the da/sa/crc portion of the frame.
Is this what you mean?  Can you give me an example how this would be
measured?

<<Latency is measured only at the throughput level>>
[BR99] is a procedure that describes measuring latency at throughput.  It
does not say that latency is invalid at any other offered rates.  [BR91]
does not define latency at a particular offered rate.  Let's take it to the
reflector and solicit a vote on how many persons associate latency with
throughput as a MUST criteria.

<<Bullet number 5>>
Thanks

<<Jitter>>
I agree that we postpone this discussion until the Delay discussion is
resolved.

Regards,

Tony