Re: [bmwg] I-D IPv6 transition technologies benchmarking

kaname nishizuka <kaname@nttv6.jp> Thu, 13 November 2014 20:56 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 05:55:41 +0900
From: kaname nishizuka <kaname@nttv6.jp>
To: Marius Georgescu <liviumarius-g@is.naist.jp>, bmwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [bmwg] I-D IPv6 transition technologies benchmarking

I'm kaname nishizuka of NTT Communications.

Many operators are facing IPv4 exhaustion in Japan, so they have started
to adopt IPv6 transition technologies to their network now.
Up to now, there is no methodology of comparing numerous technology in
the aspect of performance characteristics.
I hope this document would develop necessary methodologies of
benchmarking IPv6 transition technologies.

As for classification of transition technologies, I have a suggestion.
I advise you to add stateless/stateful category on CE and PE.

If CE or PE is stateful, it has kind of NAT function, thus it will have
close relation to rfc3511(Benchmarking Methodology for Firewall
Performance).

thank you,
kaname