[bmwg] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-bmwg-evpntest-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 30 June 2021 09:48 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-bmwg-evpntest@ietf.org, bmwg-chairs@ietf.org, bmwg@ietf.org, Sarah Banks <sbanks@encrypted.net>, sbanks@encrypted.net
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 02:48:14 -0700
Subject: [bmwg] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-bmwg-evpntest-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bmwg-evpntest-09: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-evpntest/

DISCUSS:

Thank you for the work put into this document. I have some regrets about the
amount of typos, bad capitalizations, ...

Special thanks for Sarah Banks' shepherd write-up about the WG process /
consensus.

Please find below 3 blocking DISCUSS points (but should be easy to address),
some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be appreciated), and some
nits.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== DISCUSS ==

Most of the tests are labelled 'rate' but what they measure is not 'rate' but
'time'. What did I fail to understand ?

-- Sections 3.3, 3.4, and 4.3 --
Perhaps did I fail to understand the purpose of this test but how can it be
that "Flush Rate" is equal to "Relearning Rate" ? Should there be different T1
for flush / relearn ?

-- Section 3.9 --
Please s/ip/IPv4/

COMMENT:

== COMMENTS ==

As most of the test in section 4 are identical to those in section 3, is there
a reason for having such repetition ? I.e., rather than having a single set of
tests and mentioning the applicability of those tests to the PBB-EVPN scenarios.

-- Abstract --
Suggest to expand PBB as
https://www.rfc-editor.org/materials/abbrev.expansion.txt does not have the
compound PBB-EVPN. Same applies in section 1 where the expansion is used but
not defined.

-- Section 2 --
Suggest to mention early that SH = single home and MH = multi-home

Strange use of 'traffic generator' for a box that also receives traffic. Is
there a better word in BMWG ?

Unclear from figure 1 whether the link between SHPE3 and traffic generator acts
as a "PE-CE link" as this link is the only unqualified one.

-- Section 3.1 --
In "X different source and destination MAC address for one vlan" (beside the
singular form for "address") aren't X different source addresses enough to
trigger the MAC learning ? I.e., no need to vary the destination MAC addresses.

Using external scripts to count learned MAC addresses appears very rudimentary
and not very accurate...

-- Section 3.2 --
Suggest to use the same text or similar presentation for the measurement part
as in section 3.1

-- Section 3.9 --
As it can be expected that most of the EVPN are dual-stack, I wonder whether
the 2 single-stack measurements are useful as there could be an interaction
between IPv4 and IPv6 learning. Unsure how to test it though (perhaps 50% IPv4
and 50 IPv6 ?).

-- Section 3.12 --
If "SOAK" is an acronym (based on the all uppercase), then please expand it,
else use "Soak"

== NITS ==

Please always use the all uppercase character for VLAN same for 'ipv6', 'arp',
'ip', ...

Also check punctuations as they should be followed by a space character.

-- Section 5 --
You may want to add a last name to Al in "to thank Al"