Re: [bmwg] An Upgrade to Benchmarking Methodology for Network Interconnect Devices -- Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-lencse-bmwg-rfc2544-bis-00.txt

Lencse Gábor <lencse@hit.bme.hu> Sat, 23 May 2020 12:28 UTC

To: "bmwg@ietf.org" <bmwg@ietf.org>
From: Lencse Gábor <lencse@hit.bme.hu>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 14:28:32 +0200
Subject: Re: [bmwg] An Upgrade to Benchmarking Methodology for Network Interconnect Devices -- Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-lencse-bmwg-rfc2544-bis-00.txt

Dear Al Morton,

Thank you very much for your reply and for all the references! I was not
aware of them and now I see that they have already solved several of the
issues we wanted to handle. (Even some issues, which we did not mention
in the draft, but I had in my mind, like using a high number of
different source port numbers for the tests.)

I am sorry for incorrectly using the word "bis" in the filename without
proper understanding its meaning. I wanted to say something like
"upgrade" / "update" / "amend", but not something like "replace" /
"rewrite" / "reissue", which seems to be the meaning of "bis" according
to https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9105639/httpbis-what-does-bis-mean
We will not use the word "bis" in the consecutive versions of our draft.

As for the non-overlapping areas of our draft and the documents you
cited, I have not found anything in them about our suggestion for
"Improved Throughput and Frame Loss Rate Measurement Procedures using
Individual Frame Timeout".

If you think this one joins well into your efforts to update RFC 2544,
then we could focus on this one first, and deal with some others later
one by one in (in different documents).

What do you think of it?

Best regards,

Gábor