Re: [Bridge-mib] RE: draft-ietf-bridge-bridgemib-smiv2-10.txt

"Tom Petch" <nwnetworks@dial.pipex.com> Mon, 07 March 2005 16:49 UTC

From: Tom Petch <nwnetworks@dial.pipex.com>
To: dbharrington@comcast.net, "'Bridge-Mib (E-mail)'" <bridge-mib@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Bridge-mib] RE: draft-ietf-bridge-bridgemib-smiv2-10.txt
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 16:45:01 +0100
Cc: 'Dan Romascanu' <dromasca@avaya.com>, 'David Kessens' <david.kessens@nokia.com>, j.schoenwaelder@iu-bremen.de, "'Wijnen, Bert (Bert)'" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
Sender: bridge-mib-bounces@ietf.org

I am inclined to leave well alone.

For me, the root problem is the IEEE system of identifying standards.  I find
that being up-to-date causes endless misunderstandings and arguments with people
who 'know' that they are talking about 802.1az (or some such) and will never
update their knowledge no matter how long ago that was superseded.  In fact, it
is hard to find an equipment manufacturer which does not use obsolete
references.  IEEE may declare them superseded but they now have a life
independent of the IEEE.

Have 802.1t and 802.1w reached that status?  I think so.

 (The hard copy sits on my desk along with 802.1D-1998 etc)

In passing, I see we have
dot1dStpPathCostDefault OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                    stp8021d1998(1),
                    stp8021t2001(2)
                }
which enshrines 802.1t for all time.  (But then it should be stp8021D1998).

Tom Petch