[anonsec] Consensus call on WG adoption of draft-komu-btns-api-01

simon at josefsson.org (Simon Josefsson) Thu, 31 May 2007 15:52 UTC

From: "simon at josefsson.org"
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 17:52:07 +0200
Subject: [anonsec] Consensus call on WG adoption of draft-komu-btns-api-01

I object to standardize any API that uses data types from a particular
external implementation (in this case OpenSSL).

The approach used in this document appear to require that every
implementation of the document needs to #include OpenSSL headers, and
possibly call OpenSSL functions (the implementation of the
ipsec_openssl_to_channel_info is unclear to me).  I believe that is
clearly unacceptable for any Standards Track document.

If this problem can be solved, by having a generic interface to input
the necessary information needed from the TLS library, the document
seems like a useful contribution to me.

A suggestion for an improvement to the document would be to add a
copyright license to the example code to make it possible to use the
example in implementations.  This often helps spread usage and leads to
faster adoption of the API.  See section 3 of
draft-josefsson-free-standards-howto-00.txt.

/Simon