RE: [Ietf-caldav] Re: iCalendar to XML transform

"Zbarcea, Hadrian" <hzbarcea@iona.com> Tue, 14 November 2006 01:38 UTC

Subject: RE: [Ietf-caldav] Re: iCalendar to XML transform
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 20:41:08 -0500
From: "Zbarcea, Hadrian" <hzbarcea@iona.com>
To: "Kervin L. Pierre" <kervin@adevsoft.com>, Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>, Tim Hare <TimHare@comcast.net>
Cc: ietf-caldav@osafoundation.org

Hi,

I think what you are trying to do is great.  I would dare suggest a
slightly different approach.  I talked to Brian Mosley and Ted Leung a
month or so back but didn't have the time to follow up.

The problem imho is that there is no such thing as trivial XML.  To be
really useful and interoperable the semantics needs to be expressed via
an xml schema.  Unfortunately xCal does not seem to go anywhere, Doug
Royer is not active anymore in these communities as it seems.  And that
was a DTD not an XML schema anyway.  RDF is a tricky way to go.

I went the same path more than a year ago.  I approached the whole thing
from the web services perspective.  Web Services are defined by WSDL,
which mandates schema.  I worked with a project that became apache CXF
and would like to support an xml based programming model but use CalDAV
on the wire (it may not be obvious what I mean, but it's quite simple).
To make a long story short I do have an xml schema that maps iCal to XML
and started to work on a parser that reads iCal and emits SAX/StAX.
It's a java implementation, but antlr supports other languages too.

I won't attach the schema (again), but please let me know and I will
submit it again.  I consider it near complete, it is my work, but it's
public domain, no strings attached.  If anybody is interesting in
helping me with the parsing/web services stuff that'd be great.
Adapting existing parsers to produce valid xml according to this schema
would work too.

Regards,
Hadrian