Re: [calsify] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-douglass-link-extension-00

"Tim Hare" <TimHare@comcast.net> Sat, 10 July 2010 13:40 UTC

From: Tim Hare <TimHare@comcast.net>
To: 'Mike Douglass' <douglm@rpi.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 09:40:09 -0400
Cc: calsify@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [calsify] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-douglass-link-extension-00
Sender: calsify-bounces@ietf.org

Thanks that clears it up somewhat. For your first point - I believe 'large attendance' events like concerts, theater, etc. are, technically, group scheduling events and could be scheduled as such but I see the advantages to your method now, when I didn't before.  I think, coming from my particular background, I can get hung up on the appointment / meeting view of calendaring and forget things like events and conferences.

Now after reading this a second time, a couple of other things:

1. You require 'fmttypeparam' on a LINK property, but it's not described in the document.  TYPE= is used in examples, but TYPE isn't defined like TITLE is.
2. Personal opinion, maybe, but I think NAME= is a more generic, and therefore more generally applicable, thing than TITLE=
3. IF TYPE= uses MIME types, then I would think for your media feeds it would be better to have REL="MEDIA" (or something like it) and allow TYPE= to determine the type. MIME types are already used in many places to determine what will process a file, and I think most clients would already have functions to do so. I don't think it an undue burden on things to search for REL=MEDIA AND TYPE="whatever".

As always these are one man's opinions, offered in the spirit of "let's get calendaring to where everyone can use it".

Tim Hare
Interested Bystander, Non-Inc.