[calsify] SKIP was Re: AD review of draft-ietf-calext-rscale-03

Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name> Tue, 03 February 2015 03:33 UTC

Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 22:33:13 -0500
From: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
To: Calsify <calsify@ietf.org>
Cc: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
Subject: [calsify] SKIP was Re: AD review of draft-ietf-calext-rscale-03

Hi,
(Dealing with Barry's AD review issues #2 and #8 in a separate thread)

OK, so I think you have identified a legitimate issue with SKIP. I would
like to clarify the skip behavior as described below. I will propose
concrete changes to the draft once we have agreed on the basic concepts.

When a recurrence generates an invalid date, the following applies when
SKIP is set to FORWARD or BACKWARD:

1) If the invalid date was generated from a rule starting on a leap day or
a leap month: the SKIP value for forward/backward is then a day or a month,
respectively.

2) If the invalid date was generated from a rule starting on a day-of-month
not valid in the current month: the SKIP value for forward/backward is to
the nearest valid day.

3) If the invalid date was generated from a rule with a BYMONTHDAY that
results in a day-of-month not valid in the current month: the SKIP value
for forward/backward is to the nearest valid day.

Note that the above "rules" for SKIP are independent of the actual RSCALE
value, which I believe is the correct approach (because otherwise we would
need some kind of registry or an indicator from ICU as to what the behavior
should be for each calendar scale).

Can other RRULE experts please review the above and make sure those three
descriptions are valid?

--
Cyrus Daboo