Re: [Captive-portals] Alternative authentication mechanism to meet captive portal needs?

stefan.winter@restena.lu Fri, 09 October 2015 14:58 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:58:19 +0200
From: stefan.winter@restena.lu
To: David Illsley <davidillsley@gmail.com>
Cc: captive-portals@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Captive-portals] Alternative authentication mechanism to meet captive portal needs?

Hello,

being a huge EAP-based roaming consortium, eduroam is facing those
same ToU/branding questions.

We settled for an out-of-EAP approach to show logo and ToU during the
provisioning phase.

Take a look at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-winter-opsawg-eap-metadata/

This is a config file for EAP-based networks. It includes schema
elements / yang nodes to embed ToU, Logo, helpdesk contact details,
operator friendly name etc.

An installer program that gets fed with such a config file can display
the logo, ToU and similar before actually pushing the EAP type
settings to the device; and from then on just be a normal 802.11i
network.

There is already an Android app and a Linux installation script that
consumes the file format; we are also currently working on a Windows
version.

Apple's mobileconfig files also have a way to embed Terms of Use - but
no logo.

The only remaining problem then is that the config needs to get to the
device in the first place - which means in most cases that you need a
captive portal which only allows to download the config for the "real"
network.

Hotspot 2.0 was designed with that use case in mind, but for wired
networks, you are a bit more on your own.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter