Re: [Captive-portals] practicality of 511 HTTP status code

Vincent van Dam <VvanDam@sandvine.com> Sun, 07 May 2017 18:23 UTC

From: Vincent van Dam <VvanDam@sandvine.com>
To: Erik Kline <ek@google.com>, "captive-portals@ietf.org" <captive-portals@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2017 18:23:50 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.168.196.10]
x-c2processedorg: b2f06e69-072f-40ee-90c5-80a34e700794
Subject: Re: [Captive-portals] practicality of 511 HTTP status code

I think the 511 fits one use-case, being the scenario where http traffic is intercepted by the nas and the user is redirected with a http 302/307 status code to a captive portal. The 511 would be, imo, the right status code to use instead of 302/307.

Since the 511 status is an error http status code; it has a higher chance of signalling unaware clients there is something wrong. The goal of the nas for intercepting the http request is to show a captive portal, and only applications that did http requests and are able to present that captive portal (webbrowsers) should gracefully handle this status code.

Since 511 is an error code; I would expect that some application doing e.g. an api call over http or fetching some static configuration file are able to better handle this than being redirected to something that can’t be interpreted (but produced a success status code). If the 511 status code would be used, the response would likely be already considered as an error because. I think it will also improve fetching resources (images/javascripts) in a the captive state, these should fail immediately as well with an error (instead of each resource returning the captive portal markup).

I am also very curious about at least the adoption and support of this status code.