Re: [Cats] E-impact [Was: Other "related" I-Ds]

Dirk Trossen <dirk.trossen@huawei.com> Mon, 25 March 2024 19:19 UTC

From: Dirk Trossen <dirk.trossen@huawei.com>
To: adrian <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, 'cats' <cats@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 19:19:03 +0000
Subject: Re: [Cats] E-impact [Was: Other "related" I-Ds]

Hi Adrian,

Agree to all that.  But the walking was not what i questioned,  to stay in your analogy, but the purpose of it, even what that "basic CATS scenario" is you refer to (we might have different views on even that).

You asked about views what metrics could and should be.  I wondered and suggested to consider some sort of energy as one such, that's all.

I don't think that doing so will affect the basic engineering tools.  Like any metric, it may impact aspects like update frequency but any metric does that question to answer.

Best

Dirk
P.S.: if you worked on cardinals without semantics exposed to CATS nodes,  you wouldn't even notice that my use case was running on an energy objective.  I'm working on showing this as an extension to our previous work where those cardinals were compute units.  I hope we can share results soon...