Re: [Cbor] Map keys?

Laurence Lundblade <lgl@island-resort.com> Mon, 29 April 2019 13:59 UTC

From: Laurence Lundblade <lgl@island-resort.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 06:58:57 -0700
Cc: cbor@ietf.org
To: Felipe Gasper <felipe@felipegasper.com>
Subject: Re: [Cbor] Map keys?

Hi Felipe,

There is no restriction on map keys in CBOR.

But maybe there should be a CBOR protocol design guideline that strongly recommends this. Seems to me that the complexity of implementation of a generic decoder that handles keys that are maps and labels is pretty high. We already have trouble with equivalence and sorting of map keys with just the strings and integers, seems like a protocol using arrays and maps would make that much worse.

It also seems like a very unusual thing to do and beyond what other protocols and languages do.

I chose to make my C implementation of CBOR <https://github.com/laurencelundblade/QCBOR> have built-in support for keys that are integer or strings, but not arrays or maps. (You can put it in a mode where it will handle any type of key, but you lose most of the the built-in support for maps, because they are just treated like arrays).

With such a recommendation we’d probably consider the inclusion of binary strings and floating point numbers as keys.

LL