[Cbor] Review draft-bormann-cbor-tags-oid-07

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Fri, 03 July 2020 18:40 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: draft-bormann-cbor-tags-oid@ietf.org
CC: cbor@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2020 11:39:53 -0700
Subject: [Cbor] Review draft-bormann-cbor-tags-oid-07

* Section 1 - There has been a recent argument on one of the mailing lists
about the question between the value of an encoding and the contents of the
value of the encoding.  I think that it needs to be highlighted that this is
referring to the V portion of TLV for BER.  "The contents of these
encodings..." is mostly likely going to cause somebody to have the same
problem.

* Section 1 - last sentence - What it is being referred to here?

* Section 2 - What is a "primary integer"?  Is this one that has not yet
gone to high school?

* Section 2.1 - I don't think it is the tag that is invalid, but rather the
value in the tag that is invalid.  The "tagged value"?  (Is this a
well-formed error?)

* You need to update references and text to the CBOR bis document.

* Section 5 - Does it make any sense to allow the tags to be specified in a
nested manner?  TBD110(X) [TBD111(Y)] ?

* Section 5 - One way to handle the problem would be to define a new tag
which cancels any tag inheritance as a general purpose thing.  This might
also be useful for other tags which might be defined in this way in the
future.

* Section 7 - I would agree that having an operator that parses string
dotted format does not make any sense.  It might be useful to include the
.oid operator however which has the property of doing the magic.

* Section 7 - I need an example of .sdnv because I am having a problem
figuring out how it would be used.

* Section 7 - If we do nesting behavior on these tags, then a control
operator to make A relative to B would be useful as well.

Jim