Re: [Cbor] Rechartering Process

Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> Tue, 18 June 2019 20:34 UTC

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 22:34:01 +0200
Cc: cbor@ietf.org
To: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
Subject: Re: [Cbor] Rechartering Process

A few minor comments on the current charter text in https://github.com/cbor-wg/charter/blob/master/charter-01.md :

> Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR, RFC 7049) extends the JavaScript
> Object Notation (JSON, RFC 7159) data interchange format to include binary
> data and an extensibility model, using a binary representation format that
> is easy to parse correctly. It has been picked up by a number of IETF
> efforts (e.g., CORE, ANIMA GRASP) as a message format.

I don’t think we need to give examples any more, so I think we can get rid of the parenthesis in the last sentence.

> The CBOR working group will update RFC 7049 to fix verified errata. Security
> issues and clarifications may be addressed, but changes to the document will
> ensure backward compatibility for popular deployed codebases. The resulting
> document will be targeted at becoming a Full Internet Standard. After that,
> the CBOR working group will monitor issues found with the CBOR specification
> and, if needed, will produce an updated document.
>
> Similar to the way ABNF (RFC 5234/7405) can be used to describe the set of
> valid messages in a text representation, it is useful for protocol
> specifications to use a description format for the data in CBOR-encoded
> messages. The Concise Data Definition Language (CDDL) is such a description
> technique that has already been used in CORE, ANIMA, CDNI, and efforts
> outside the IETF.
>
> CDDL has been published as RFC XXXX. While this specification has been
> completed, several new features were raised during the update process that
> were not included, in order not to delay publication, and to allow
> publication in the Standards Track. One example of such a feature is the
> ability to combine multiple CDDL files together using a mechanism other that
> manually concatenating them together for processing. The working group will
> collect these features as well as other features that are raised by users of
> CDDL, evaluate their utility and add to a second edition of the
> specification if warranted.

(The number is now known :-)

> The working group will define the approach to further evolving CDDL as a
> sequence of editions, which might also add further extension points,
> probably as part of the introduction of the next edition of the CDDL base
> specification. The body of existing specifications that make use of CDDL is
> considered precious, and the WG will set out not to damage their value.
>
> The working group will evaluate the necessity of providing advice and
> guidance for developers using CBOR and CDDL. It is currently expected that
> this would be done using a Wiki of some type. This work would not be
> expected to be published by the IETF.
>
> There are a number of additional CBOR tagged types that are either currently
> adopted by the working group, by other working groups, or as individual
> submissions. Additionally, there are expected to be other such documents
> that will come to the attention of the working group. In some cases, the
> working group expects to adopt and publish these proposals.
>
> The working group will evaluate and place proposals in one of the following
> categories using a dispatch like process:
>
> *   General purpose tagged types that are expected to have broad usage: The
> working group will normally adopt and publish such proposals. Examples of
> proposals in this category are CBOR Sequence (draft-bormann-cbor-sequence)
> and Error Indications (draft-richter-cbor-error-tag).

The CBOR sequence is not really a CBOR tagged type (even though it could be used as such in a byte string) as a new media type using CBOR in a slightly different way than application/cbor is used.

> *   Internet wide specific purpose tagged types: The working group may
> decide to adopt these proposals, but typically it would just provide input
> and recommend that they be published either as an Independent Submission or
> by a different working group.
>
> *   Narrow purpose tagged types: The working group may provide evaluation
> of such proposals, but typically would not support Working Group adoption,
> and could recommend publication in a different forum. An example of this
> might be portions of draft-bormann-cbor-tags-oid dealing with some of the
> more esoteric types such as regular expressions

Period :-).

Grüße, Carsten