RE: GMPLS Last Calls: Comments on restoration requirements

Vishal Sharma <vsharma87@yahoo.com> Fri, 25 May 2001 18:38 UTC

From: Vishal Sharma <vsharma87@yahoo.com>
To: "'C. R. Kalmanek'" <crk@research.att.com>, John Drake <jdrake@calient.net>
Cc: "'Tarapore, Percy S'" <tarapore@att.com>, "Ash, Gerald R (Jerry)" <gash@att.com>, "ccamp@ops.ietf.org" <ccamp@ops.ietf.org>, "mpls@uu.net" <mpls@uu.net>
Subject: RE: GMPLS Last Calls: Comments on restoration requirements
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 11:38:33 -0700

Chuck,

point
out that a framework for MPLS recovery is an MPLS WG document (and
has been for some time now; in fact, after we submit the final revision in
the next week or so, based on feedback we received after the last IETF, it
should go to last call as per the decision of the ADs at the last IETF).

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-recovery-frmwrk-02.txt

Also, at the last  IETF, there was support for this document being a  good
starting point for the generation of more general restoration requirements
by the TE WG.

FYI, about a year ago, we had submitted a draft to the TE WG
titled
"Network survivability considerations for traffic engineered IP networks,"
draft-owens-te-network-survivability-00.txt,
which was ahead of its times, and the TE WG was not ready
for it then. The abstract for the draft reads:

"Network survivability refers to the capability of the network to
maintain service continuity in the presence of faults within the
network [1]. This can be accomplished by recovering from network
failures quickly and maintaining the required QoS for existing
services. With the increasing sophistication of network technologies,
survivability capabilities are becoming available at multiple layers,
allowing for protection and restoration to occur at any layer of the
network. This makes it important to: scrutinize the recovery features
of different network layers, understand the pros and cons of performing
recovery at each layer, and assess how the interactions between layers
impact network survivability. With these objectives in mind, this draft
examines the considerations for network survivability at different
layers of the network."

The initial version was an attempt to hightlight all the issues, and an
overview, but it has since expired. Perhaps now
is a good time to resurrect it.

We would be happy to collaborate with any carriers that are interested
in progressing these requirements (in addition to Williams) within the
IETF.

Thanks,

-Vishal

(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-generalized-signaling-0