Re: Addressing doc

Igor Bryskin <i_bryskin@yahoo.com> Sat, 16 April 2005 21:37 UTC

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 14:31:26 -0700
From: Igor Bryskin <i_bryskin@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Addressing doc
To: Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be, Kireeti Kompella <kireeti@juniper.net>
Cc: ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Sender: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org

Dimitri,

Suppose a controller has just received an RSVP Path
message that contains an ERO describing a path
computed on the head-end (properly modified, of
course, along the path). ERO is specified in terms of
numbered or/and unnumbered TE links (and not IP
addresses). Now the processing controller needs to
forward the message to the controller that manages
first non-local ERO sub-object. The question is what
to set as destination in the IP header of the RSVP
Path message? You are saying that it should a stable
IP address of the controller managing the next hop.
Where the processing controller is supposed to get
this stable IP address from? All that it has is a
numbered or unnumbered next hop TE link ID. It is not
guaranteed that numbered TE link ID is a routable
address, however, it could be easily resolved to TE
Router ID. In case of unnumbered TE link the TE Router
ID is a part of the link ID. It is also guaranteed
that TE Router ID is a stable routable IP address of
the controller advertising the TE link. Hence, the
recommendation makes a lot of sense to me – extract TE
Router ID from unnumbered link ID ERO subobject or
resolve numbered TE link ID into TE Router ID, set it
as destination in IP header of the RSVP Path message
and forward the packet –the message will arrive at the
controller managing next hop no matter how many actual
IP hops the packet will make. In fact, that’s how the
control plane and data plane separation needs to be
supported.

Cheers,
Igor

<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-gmpls-extensions-19.txt>