RE: How to announce ethernet capabilities in GMPLS

<E.T.Metz@telecom.tno.nl> Mon, 08 May 2006 15:53 UTC

Subject: RE: How to announce ethernet capabilities in GMPLS
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 17:45:30 +0200
From: E.T.Metz@telecom.tno.nl
To: fdijkstr@science.uva.nl
Cc: ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Sender: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org

Hi Freek,

I think there are two separate issues here:
- The definition of an LSP in the LSC switching region between 2
Ethernet switches (through the PXC), and
- The definition of LSP in the L2SC switching regions through a number
of Ethernet switches.

For the former, the WAN-PHY / LAN-PHY question seems relevant. I'd say
this is (should be) somehow part of the G-PID for the LSP between the
switches.

For the latter, the VLAN/no-VLAN question seems relevant (this belongs
to the GELS work I think). Although you could argue that also for the
inter-switch LSP this information might be relevant; you may not want to
cross-connect a trunk port with a non-trunk port. If the encoding do not
match, you may not be able to setup 'Ethernet' LSPs.

Which is your concern? (Note, to me, both appear to be areas of
development)

An overview of GMPLS parameters can be found at:
http://www.iana.org/numbers.html#G

cheers,
	Eduard