Re: [CCAMP] I-D Action:draft-kern-ccamp-rsvpte-hop-attributes-00.txt

András Kern <andras.kern@ericsson.com> Tue, 20 October 2009 13:27 UTC

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:25:55 +0200
From: András Kern <andras.kern@ericsson.com>
To: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, Attila Takacs <Attila.Takacs@ericsson.com>
Cc: ccamp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] I-D Action:draft-kern-ccamp-rsvpte-hop-attributes-00.txt

Hi Adrian,

The considered use case is to enable configuring non-intrusive and/or
tandem connection monitoring entities for OTN networks: to carry
endpoint identification and monitoring parameter encoding structures.
The update of draft-kern-ccamp-rsvp-te-sdh-otn-oam-ext (should be uploaded by next Monday) will make use of the new ERO subobject.

This placeholder (HOP_ATTRIBUTES subobject) may be useful in other
cases as well, like for instance WSON. That is why it has been
submitted as a separated document.

As an alternative I have considered using the LSP_REQUIRED_ATTRIBUTES,
but in that case there may be a mismatch between the hops encoded in
the LSP_REQUIRED_ATTRIBUTES and the hops that will be actually used,
i.e., the ones specified in the ERO.

The scope of the RRO_ATTRIBUTES is different, it encodes LSP related attributes, these will likely be different form the the hop related  attributes. That is why a new subobject is proposed. However, curently I do not see a clear use case for HOP ATTRIBUTES in the RRO. So merging with RRO_ATTRIBUTES may be possible.

Best Regards
Andras