Re: [CCAMP] New Version Notification for draft-malis-ccamp-rfc5787bis-01

"Shew, Stephen" <sshew@ciena.com> Tue, 26 October 2010 18:07 UTC

From: "Shew, Stephen" <sshew@ciena.com>
To: "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 14:08:39 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] New Version Notification for draft-malis-ccamp-rfc5787bis-01

I have read draft-malis-ccamp-rfc5787bis-01.txt and was involved in the discussion of it at the recent ITU-T Q12/15 interim meeting.  I have the following comments on it:

The main comment I have on the draft is that it is requires more clarity on address/name spaces that various identifiers are part of, especially distinguishing between the IP network address space and other address/namespaces.  In transport networks, there are different name spaces associated with services, resources (data plane), management functions, and the communications between those functions.  ASON (G.8080) can be viewed as another transport management function and thus has the following name spaces:

Services - UNI and ENNI Transport Resource identifiers (known in OIF IAs as Transport Network Addresses)
Resources - Subnetwork Point Pool (SNPP) names
Functions - Component (RC, NCC, CC, LRM, TAP, DS) names and Protocol Controller names
Communications - The Signalling Communications Network (SCN) has identifiers that are used for the purpose of sending information between ASON components.  These have similar meaning as L3 IP reachable addresses.

Reading the draft then with this view of name spaces we make the following comments:
1. General. The term "reachability" can be confusing as the semantics differ with the name space to which it is applied.  If applied to the resource or data plane, it means that the resource is visible in some topology.  If applied in the SCN context, it means that information can be sent to that address using an IP network.  If applied to the component name space, it usually means that the information can be sent to that component via the SCN.

2. Section 3.  In an ASON context, "TE router ID" is in the resource name space and identifies a node/matrix in the transport network.  The "OSPF router ID" is in a component name space and represents the routing function.

3. Section 4. The term "reachability" should be clarified in this section to mean identifiers in the resource plane that are advertised by the routing function.  They are not reachable in the same sense as functions are pinged in IP.  What can be confusing is that these addresses may use the IPv4 or IPv6 address format, but are in a different name space from IP routable addresses.

4. Section 6.1.  I would like to suggest that consideration be given to always advertising the Local and Remote TE Router ID sub-TLV.  This would provide a consistent advertising behaviour for the ASON case and make it possible to increase the scope of an OSPF router from one to two TE Router IDs without changing the advertising format.

5. Section 6.2.  The term "reachability" should be clarified as noted above (point 3). Also, I suggest that consideration be given to always advertising the Local TE Router ID sub-TLV for the same reason given above (point 4).

Stephen Shew | Director, Standards
sshew@ciena.com | 3500 Carling Ave. | Ottawa CANADA K2H 8E9
Direct +1.613.763.2462