RE: Question on draft-shiomoto-ccamp-gmpls-addressing-00.txt

<benjamin.niven-jenkins@bt.com> Tue, 08 March 2005 15:29 UTC

Subject: RE: Question on draft-shiomoto-ccamp-gmpls-addressing-00.txt
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:20:43 -0000
From: benjamin.niven-jenkins@bt.com
To: ashokn@cisco.com, adrian@olddog.co.uk
Cc: ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Sender: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org

Ashok,

I think one of the key points that needs highlighting explicitly which is not clear in the draft or your text below is that there are two separate control networks:
1) One control network for the non-PSC core.
2) One control network for the PSC edge nodes.

Network (1) has to be OOB as a forced requirement of the co-cs mode.
Network (2) does not have to be OOB but it may be (it's down to operator choice/policy etc.).

If you look at the whole network stack you have trails in the non-PSC core layer network supporting link connections in the PSC layer network.  These non-PSC layer network trails may be used to support link connections in the PSC layer network that may be assigned to carry only 'PSC data traffic' (for the PSC data plane), only 'PSC control traffic' (for the PSC control plane when it's taken OOB) or both 'PSC data and control plane traffic' (when the PSC control plane is inband wrt the PSC data plane).

In other words, the non-PSC layer network has it's own data & control plane networks that are (or should be) decoupled from the PSC layer network (which has its own data & control plane networks).  non-PSC layer network data plane trails can be used to support PSC layer network data (and/or control) plane link connections, but non-PSC layer network control plane trails MUST NOT be used to support PSC layer network data (and/or control) plane link connections.  This behaviour should be recursive from the lowest to the highest layer in the network stack.

Ben