Comments on draft-ietf-ccamp-lmp-test-sonet-sdh-04.txt.

"Philip Crocker" <phil.crocker@dataconnection.com> Wed, 16 February 2005 12:13 UTC

Subject: Comments on draft-ietf-ccamp-lmp-test-sonet-sdh-04.txt.
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:01:38 -0000
From: Philip Crocker <phil.crocker@dataconnection.com>
To: Jonathan.Lang@rinconnetworks.com
Cc: ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Sender: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org

Jonathan,

I have recently been looking in detail at draft-ietf-ccamp-test-sonet-sdh-04.txt, and have a question and a comment on the draft.  I'd really appreciate it if you could spare the time to look at both these points.

1)  Firstly the question.  In section 1 (the 4th paragraph), the text indicates that SONET / SDH extensions to link verification and link property correlation require both section 3 and section 4 (Trace Monitoring).  However, it seems to me that the extensions described in section 3 alone are enough to perform link verification and link property correlation for SONET / SDH links.  Specifically, though the TraceMonitor<xx> and TraceMismatch messages defined in section 4 can be used to perform an external verification of SONET / SDH links, it is not clear why these messages are necessary in addition to the LMP link verification procedure (as extended by section 3).  Could you please explain this?

2)  Secondly, I have a minor comment on section 4.  I understand from section 4.1.1 that a TraceMonitor message should contain a single <TRACE> object.  However, section 4.1.2 can be read to imply that a TraceMonitor message can contain more than one <TRACE> object.  Can I suggest the following replacement text for section 4.1.2?

	The TraceMonitorAck message (Message Type TBA by IANA) is used to acknowledge receipt of the TraceMonitor message and indicate that the TRACE object in the TraceMonitor message have been received and processed correctly (i.e. no Trace Mismatch).

Thanks,

Phil Crocker