RE: GMPLS MIB I-D updates

"Thomas D. Nadeau" <tnadeau@cisco.com> Fri, 25 January 2002 18:24 UTC

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 13:24:09 -0500
To: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <tnadeau@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: GMPLS MIB I-D updates
Cc: Cheenu Srinivasan <cheenu@paramanet.com>, "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>, Joan Cucchiara <jcucchia@CrescentNetworks.com>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org, Kireeti Kompella <kireeti@juniper.net>, Vijay Gill <vijay@umbc.edu>, swallow@cisco.com

At 05:18 PM 1/25/2002 +0100, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:
>Inline

         That wasn't the idea, sorry if it sounded that way. The point
was that we will change the name to whatever is necessary to get
this work moving forward.   We will use the v2 approach as you
suggested. The only question now is which WG to put these into:
CCAMP or MPLS (see below).

> > 2. We believe CCAMP is the appropriate place to continue this
> >    work since the extensions are completely GMPLS related. This was
> >    discussed in Salt Lake City and (we thought) agreed upon but
> >    we would like to hear the chairs'/AD's word on this.
> >
>If the MIBs are GMPLS specific, in which case they would
>probably conatin a set of AUGMENTing tables to the MPLS MIBs,
>then they may belong in CCAMP. If they are changing (i.e.
>just repeating and adding new objects) the base tables in the
>MPLS MIBs, then it seems to me that they may also belong in the
>MPLS WG. I'd like to hear from author how they want to approach
>adding GMPLS management objects to the MPLS MIBs. Then I want
>to hear from WG chairs how they are reading consensus on what
>to do and where to do it.

         The AUGMENTS approach was originally thought though
(I think that we sent you email on this, but maybe not). The
conclusion was to not AUGMENT the existing MIBs because the
indexing of many of the existing tables used the MPLS label. Since
GMPLS allows for labels of much greater length, we could not
use this approach, and thus decided to write new tables that
were as close as the old ones as possible so as to preserve existing
implementations, but to also facilitate GMPLS functions (existing and
future).

         --Tom