RE: LBM comment

"Brungard, Deborah A, ALASO" <dbrungard@att.com> Thu, 21 March 2002 15:26 UTC

Subject: RE: LBM comment
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:26:23 -0500
From: "Brungard, Deborah A, ALASO" <dbrungard@att.com>
To: Sudheer Dharanikota <sudheer@nayna.com>, "Bernstein, Greg" <GregB@ciena.com>
Cc: Maarten Vissers <mvissers@lucent.com>, ccamp <ccamp@ops.ietf.org>

Agree with Greg and Maarten.

Hopefully of help are some tutorials from the last T1X1 meeting on virtual conc and LCAS. I've given the links below. Key is that LCAS is not about the addition/deletion of an STS-x, this is handled by an EMS/NMS/control plane. LCAS is about the use of the STS-x(s). It provides for the hitless use of an STS-x by a client signal e.g. hitless resizing of the bandwidth used by a client signal. It is based on the premise that the STS-x is available. And, LCAS is only used for client signals using virtual conc - it provides the hitless resizing for the client mapping. The only client signals defined for using Virtual conc/LCAS are the GFP mapped clients: Ethernet, ESCON, Fiber Channel, FICON, etc.

Deborah

Links:
LCAS:
ftp://ftp.t1.org/T1X1/X1.5/2x150440.ppt