RE: LMP vs. NTIP vs. "funiculus"

Jonathan Lang <jplang@calient.net> Fri, 30 March 2001 08:12 UTC

From: Jonathan Lang <jplang@calient.net>
To: 'Maarten Vissers' <mvissers@lucent.com>, Andre Fredette <fredette@photonex.com>
Cc: ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: LMP vs. NTIP vs. "funiculus"
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:12:55 -0800

Maarten,
  I agree that reproduction of capabilities already present is a bad idea.
LMP was initially designed to address issues between GMPLS peers (OXC-OXC,
router-OXC, etc.) that were not addressed with current mechanisms.  There
was a joint proposal in the OIF (oif2000.254; I can send it if you don't
have access to the OIF website) identifying the need for an OXC-WDM
interface (we called it an OLI for Optical Layer Interface) and proposing
that LMP be extended for this purpose.  The lmp-wdm draft that was submitted
to the IETF last December began outlining some simple extensions to LMP for
the OXC-WDM interface.  So, looking again at your diagram (slightly modified
to remove the single channel limitation in case of wavebands), this is how
LMP-WDM fits in.

      parallel      DWDM        parallel    parallel       DWDM
     interfaces     line       interfaces  interfaces      line
  OXC ======= DWDM ------- DWDM ======= OXC ======== DWDM------- DWDM ==
    \ lmp-wdm       OSC        lmp-wdm /   \ lmp-wdm        OSC
                    LMP                                 LMP

>From our prospective, it seems easy to make a few extensions to an existing
protocol (LMP) to meet these requirements.

Thanks,
Jonathan