[CCAMP] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-ccamp-microwave-framework-06: (with COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Wed, 23 May 2018 13:17 UTC

From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ccamp-microwave-framework@ietf.org, Daniele Ceccarelli <daniele.ceccarelli@ericsson.com>, ccamp-chairs@ietf.org, daniele.ceccarelli@ericsson.com, ccamp@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 06:17:51 -0700
Subject: [CCAMP] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-ccamp-microwave-framework-06: (with COMMENT)

draft-ietf-ccamp-microwave-framework-06: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ccamp-microwave-framework/

COMMENT:

I have a similar sentiment to Mirja, in that this document seems to
be describing the result of WG deliberations and the conclusions
that have been reached as to the path for future work.  As such,
it's unclear that there is lasting technical value to the Internet
Community from publication as an RFC (as opposed to remaining as a
WG-internal document until the publication of the associated
follow-up work).  That said, I am not making this a blocking
objection.

I'm happy to see the secdir thread coming to a conclusion about SDN
vs. NMS -- thanks for working to clear that up.

Otherwise, I just have some grammatical/style nits that I noted
while reading.

Is there any need to disambiguate "Wireless carrier" (i.e., a type of
company) vs. "carrier frequency"?  (I could certainly see an
argument for "no", given the target audience.)

Sections 1 and 2 differ about the lower bound for "microwave radio"
spectrum (1GHz vs. 1.4 GHz).

Section 2

   [...] Using multi-carrier systems operating in frequency bands
   with wider channels, the technology will be capable of providing
   capacities up 100 Gbps.

nit: "capacities of up to"

Section 3.2

   [...] Hence, an
   open and standardized node management interface are required in a
   multi-vendor environment.  Such standardized interface enables a
   unified management and configuration of nodes from different vendors
   by a common set of applications.

nit: singular/plural disagreement between "an" and "are"; also
between "such" (vs. "such a") and "interface enables" (vs.
"interfaces enable")

   On top of SDN applications to configure, manage and control the nodes
   and their associated transport interfaces including the L2 Ethernet
   and L3 IP interfaces as well as the radio interfaces, there are also
   a large variety of other more advanced SDN applications that can be
   exploited and/or developed.

FYI, the word "exploited" has connotations (in some circles) of a
malicious hack, i.e., that such an application has vulnerabilities
that are exploited for nefarious purposes.  (So far as I know,
"utilized" does not.)

The subsections in Section 4 read, stylistically, as if they are
bullet points under the heading of "use cases".  I wonder if there
would be benefit from adding some generic text about "This use
case involves ..." to them.

nit: In Section 6.1, "data plane technology specific" is used (multiple
times) as a compound adjective, which requires some hyphenation.  (I
believe different style guides have conflicting recommendations, but
at least a hyphen in "technology-specific" is generally accepted.)