Re: Proposed response to the Liaison Statement on LMP Link Verification

Jonathan Sadler <jonathan.sadler@tellabs.com> Tue, 29 April 2003 20:46 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:46:44 -0500
From: Jonathan Sadler <jonathan.sadler@tellabs.com>
To: John Drake <jdrake@calient.net>
CC: "Brungard, Deborah A, ALABS" <dbrungard@att.com>, Stephen Trowbridge <sjtrowbridge@lucent.com>, Jonathan.Lang@RinconNetworks.com, George Newsome <gnewsome@ieee.org>, Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be, "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org, Kireeti@juniper.net, "Ron Bonica (E-mail)" <Ronald.P.Bonica@wcom.com>, zinin@psg.com
Subject: Re: Proposed response to the Liaison Statement on LMP Link Verification

John -

See inline...

Jonathan Sadler
0         1         2         3         4         5         6
0123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789

John Drake wrote:

> Jonathan Sadler wrote:
> > John Drake wrote:

> > > JD:  Your original statement, to which I responded, was:
> > > "as the function being performed by both G.7714.1 and the
> > > Jx Test Message Connetivity Verification approach defined
> > > in lmp-test-sonet-sdh is the same."  What you're now saying
> > > is that there is a neighbor discovery piece to G.7714.1
> > > which has no equivalent in the LMP Test procedures, followed
> > > by the LMP Test procedure using the trace correlation
> > > tranport mechanism.
> >
> > I tend to look things from a functional decomposition
> > perspective, and not at the specific bits/bytes.
> >
> > The goal being sought is:
> >   - determination that a link exists
> >   - determination that it is not miswired
> >   - exchange of control plane names for the endpoints
> >     of that link
> >
> > Two in-band methods exist that accomplish this goal for a
> > SONET/SDH link.  They are:
> >     draft-ietf-ccamp-lmp-test-sonet-sdh
> >   and
> >     G.7714.1 (including Appendix III)
>
> JD:  What you're glossing over here is that fact that according
> to your previous e-mail, Appendix III of G.7714.1 is actually
> the LMP Test procedure using the trace correlation transport
> mechanism.  So, even in G.7714.1 as it currently exists, the
> only way to exchange control plane identifiers is the LMP Test
> procedure.

Remember, the subject for discussion here is the message sent
in-band in the Jx trace bytes.  The use of the LMP Test
procedure in Appendix III is limited to the trace correlation
method, which is sent over the DCN.

> > Both methods describe message formats that intrusively use
> > the Jx strings.  While the formats are different, the
> > function accomplished is identical.
>
> JD:  As I mentioned previously, neighbor discovery in G.7714.1
> has no LMP equivalent.  Exchange of control plane identifiers
> uses the LMP Test procedure in both cases.

Incorrect assertion.  Both the neighbor discovery method in
G.7714.1 and intrusive Jx messages defined in lmp-test-sonet-sdh
achieve goals 1 and 2.

Goal 3 was identified by G.7714 to be technology independent,
and therefore something that should be carried over the DCN.

Jx does not need to be involved in mechanism that accomplishes
Goal 3.  This is why it does not appear in the Jx message format.

<SNIP>

and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
reproduction, dissemination or distribution of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Thank you.
Tellabs