Re: [CCAMP] [ippm] [Fwd: IPPM expert review request]

"Weiqiang Sun" <sunwq@MIT.EDU> Thu, 27 August 2009 06:25 UTC

From: Weiqiang Sun <sunwq@MIT.EDU>
To: Rschrage <rschrage@schrageconsult.net>, 'Lou Berger' <lberger@labn.net>, 'Henk Uijterwaal' <henk@ripe.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:25:34 +0800
Cc: ccamp@ietf.org, zhangguoying@mail.ritt.com.cn, 'IETF IPPM WG' <ippm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] [ippm] [Fwd: IPPM expert review request]

Hi Reinhard,

Thanks for responding. Please see inline.

> Thanks for sending this part. See below for my responses.
>
> [RS7]
> Is there any help or suggestion on how to actually compute a usable
> Lambda_m?
> [sunwq]
> No. Depending on the performance of the implementation, the lambda_m can
> be
> very different, even under the same topology. A proper value of Lambda_m
> can
> only be tuned in the testing.
>
> [RS7a]
> I am a bit at loss here.
>
> It was my understanding that you use a metric to measure certain network
> quantities, e.g. throughput, set up delays, etc.
> In a second step you'd use these measured metrics to determine whether the
> systems under test meet your previously expected or defined quality
> parameters. If not, you'd make changes to the components or network
> design,
> measure again, and compare the previous set of data to the one after the
> change and see whether you have improved and are moving into the right
> direction.
>
> You seem to be coming from the other end, i.e. tweak the input parameters
> suit your system under test.
[sunwq]
OK, I get your point here.
What you said is true. I had thought by saying ``a usable lambda_m", you are
saying that a lambda_m that is *best achievable* by the DUT/SUT.
If you are expecting certain performance from the DUT/SUT, then very likely
you will have in mind an "expected" lambda_m, won't you?
The methodology here does not suggest how to select lambda_m. This in fact
can provide flexibility. Either the test will use an expected lambda_m, or
tune the lambda_m that reflects the best system performance, depending on
the purpose of the test. Does this make sense?

> [RS8]
> How to compare metrics that have been generated by two different Poisson
> processes, i.e. e.g. two different arrival rates?
> [sunwq]
> No way. Do we need to do that anyway?
>
> [RS8a]
> Pls also see my comments above.
> If you cannot compare two sets of measurements how will you then arrive at
> an objective study of the network components under test?
[sunwq]
Maybe I misunderstood you again here. The Poisson arrival rate is an
approximation of real traffic load. Of course it is worthwhile to find out
how DUT/SUT performs when traffic load changes. But what else do you expect
by comparing two data sets from different traffic load? Did I miss something
here?

> [RS9]
> These sample tuples are dependent on the arrival rate Lambda_m. How to
> deduct this input parameter from a resulting sample?
> For instance, if two result sample sets are given, how can we be sure that
> they can be compared?
> [sunwq]
> My understanding of the sample is that it is a sequence of singleton
> values
> obtained under a set of parameters. The parameters, such as Lambda_m, are
> not visible in the sample. However, when reporting the sample, the
> parameters must also be reported.
>
> [RS9a]
> OK. Noted and understood.
[sunwq]
Great, thanks.

> [RS10]
> A superposition of two different Poisson processes is being used here.
> How do you map the resulting RESV messages to the correct process, i.e.
> how
> to differentiate e.g. a late RESV message resulting from third PATH
> message
> in fourth invocation from an early RESV message solicited by first PATH
> message in fourth invocation?
> [sunwq]
> RESV messages can be differentiated by either MSG ID or non-overlapping
> LSP
> ID, or combined. The RSVP-TE protocol does that automatically. So I
> believe
> this is an RSVP-TE implementation issue, rather than a testing methodology
> issue.
>
> [RS10a]
> OK. Noted and understood.
[sunwq]
Great, thanks.

> [RS11]
> ????
> [sunwq]
> Well, the full text is like: "The percentile of Metric is defined as:
> given
> a metric and a percent X between 0% and 100%, the Xth percentile of all
> the
> dT values in the sample." Would it help a bit if sentence is replaced by
> the
>
> full text above?
> Please be noted that this text is inherited from the IPPM docs (See RFC
> 2681, page 16, 4.1).
>
> [RS11a]
> The way it was written in the doc it was just a fragment of a sentence.
> Unfortunately RFC 2681, page 16, 4.1. also does not give a proper
> definition, as it too is just a fragmented sentence.
> RFC 2330, p.26, 11.3 gives a better explanation, as:
> "We will use the term 'percentile' to refer to the smallest value of x for
> which the empirical distribution function is greater or equal a given
> percentage"
[sunwq]
Well, to tell the truth I was troubled by this too. Later I realized that
one reason that might lead to such a definition is that the authors of 2681
had assumed that ``percentile" is a ``well known" term, and does not
inheriting its definition from RFC 2330. And quite surprisingly wikipedia
says "there is no standard definition of percentile." But wikipedia also
says ``however all definitions yield similar results when the number of
observations is large."

I will replace the original example with the following to avoid such a
dilemma (of conflicting calculations in two RFCs).
============original text===============
   Example: suppose we take a sample and the results are: Stream1 = <
   <T1, 100 msec>, <T2, 110 msec>, <T3, undefined>, <T4, 90 msec>, <T5,
   500 msec> >

   Then the 50th percentile would be 110 msec, since 90 msec and 100
   msec are smaller, and 110 and 500 msec are larger (undefined values
   are not counted in).
============end of original text========

============new text===============
   Example: suppose we take a sample and the results are: Stream1 = <
   <T1, 100 msec>, <T2, 110 msec>, <T3, undefined>, <T4, 90 msec>, <T5,
   500 msec>, <T6, 350msec> >

   Then the 60th percentile would be 110 msec, since 90 msec and 100
   msec are smaller, and 110, 350 and 500 msec are larger (undefined values
   are not counted in).

   A more detailed definition of percentile may be found in RFC 2330.
============end of new text========

> [RS12]
> As stipulated in RFC2330 the EDF is defined as a function F(x) which for
> any
>
> x gives the fractional proportion of the total measurements that were <=
> x.
> (see RFC2330 11.3 p26)
> Hence F(90)=0.25, F(100)=0.5,F(110)=0.75, F(500)=1 and therefore the 50th
> percentile is defined as 100 as opposed to 110.
> [sunwq]
> Yes you are right with regard to RFC 2330. But we have used exactly the
> same
>
> example as in RFC 2681 (page 16, section 4.1). The good thing is that the
> difference of the two calculations is very small when the number of
> measurement is large. Change needed?
>
> [RS12a]
> As outlined above RFC 2330 as opposed to RFC2681 gives a proper definition
> of percentile. Therefore we should stick to RFC2330 and change
> accordingly.
>
> It should be noted though, that also RFC2330 defines percentile
> differently
> than it is done in the statistical literature, but we can live with this,
> as
> it makes the definition easier to apply to measurement samples.
Good point, thanks for explaining. I hope the change above is satisfactory
for you.

Thanks and best regards,
Weiqiang

> [------------------End of new comments---------------------]
>

> And I realized that the points you have raised covered the main part of
> the
> text. We would expect your further comments regarding our responses.
> Otherwise we will assume that you are happy with it and will proceed to
> change the text based on the revision you sent in your previous email :)
>
> Thank you again for your time in reviewing the draft so carefully.
>
> Best regards,
> Weiqiang
>
> --
> Weiqiang Sun
> Shanghai Jiao Tong University
> http://front.sjtu.edu.cn/~sunwq/

>>> suggestions. We will go through these one by one and adopt those we feel