RE: ITU-T Communications to IETF CCAMP WG [ was RE: WG dcoument s tatus]

"Osama Aboul-Magd"<osama@nortelnetworks.com> Tue, 26 February 2002 14:08 UTC

From: Osama Aboul-Magd <osama@nortelnetworks.com>
To: Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be, "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
Cc: "Mannie, Eric" <Eric.Mannie@ebone.com>, "'Mak, L (Leen)'" <lmak@lucent.com>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org, Kireeti Kompella <kireeti@juniper.net>
Subject: RE: ITU-T Communications to IETF CCAMP WG [ was RE: WG dcoument s tatus]
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:08:45 -0500

Dimitri,

You can also look at GMPLS as a tool kit that is applicable to different
models, ASON being one of them.

Yes, ASON is an overlay model. There is no reason why GMPLS based protocols
for signaling and routing could not be used for ASON control plane
implementation. Your statement regarding "restricting" routing information
between client and server networks only reflects your preference to deploy a
peer model. This is fine, but do not impose artificial requirements that
wouldn't allow the application of GMPLS protocols to other models. The last
time I looked at the IP over optical framework, overlay was one of the
models discussed.

I have been saying in a number of presentations to the IPO WG (in the
context of "draft-ietf-ipo-ason-01.txt") that ASON and GMPLS are
complementary in the sense that GMPLS protocols could be used for ASON
control plane realizations. The latest activities at the ITU just prove
that.

Regards;

Osama Aboul-Magd
Nortel Networks