Re: [CCAMP] OSPF-TE extensions for G.709 OTN draft submitted: draft-ashok-ccamp-gmpls-ospf-g709-01

fu.xihua@zte.com.cn Mon, 08 November 2010 10:49 UTC

To: "GRANDI, PIETRO VITTORIO (PIETRO VITTORIO)" <pietro_vittorio.grandi@alcatel-lucent.com>
From: fu.xihua@zte.com.cn
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 18:49:01 +0800
Cc: "Ashok@core3.amsl.com" <Ashok@core3.amsl.com>, Snigdho Bardalai <SBardalai@infinera.com>, "Ong, Lyndon" <Lyong@Ciena.com>, Khuzema Pithewan <kpithewan@infinera.com>, "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>, ccamp-bounces@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] OSPF-TE extensions for G.709 OTN draft submitted: draft-ashok-ccamp-gmpls-ospf-g709-01

Hi Pietro,

For your following statement, please refer to the liaison from ITU-T Q12.
Operator do need the multi stage multiplexing. It focuses on how you
provide the multi stage multiplexing capability in low cost.
I don't agree that any routing extension drafts can force operator to use
multi-stage multiplexing. But you have to provide a method to represent
the multi-stage capability based on the deployed network.
Termination and switching capabilities could not be understood. I don't
see any text in draft-ceccarelli-ccamp-gmpls-ospf-g709-04. Could you give
any example about how to use it?

4) Differentiation between termination and switching capabilities is a
requirement contained in the framework document. The differentiation
allows an operator
to engineer freely its network keeping into account capabilities offered
by current technology. Current technology allows switching only a stage at
once in the matrix.
Of course this can be overcome with very costly muxponder boards that by
the way could have limitations related to which containers can be
terminated and which can be
only adapted and sent to matrix for switching. In general a routing
specification must not force an operator to use costly solutions
(multi-stage multiplexing)
in order to operate the network. As a consequence the routing
specification must provide the means to allow manage the current
technology indicating clearly which are the capabilities of each interface
in terms of terminations and switching.

Xihua Fu

"GRANDI, PIETRO VITTORIO (PIETRO VITTORIO)"
<pietro_vittorio.grandi@alcatel-lucent.com>
·¢¼þÈË:  ccamp-bounces@ietf.org
2010-10-28 ÏÂÎç 04:30

ÊÕ¼þÈË
Rajan Rao <rrao@infinera.com>
³­ËÍ
"ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>, Snigdho Bardalai
<SBardalai@infinera.com>, "Ong, Lyndon" <Lyong@Ciena.com>, Khuzema
Pithewan <kpithewan@infinera.com>, "Ashok@core3.amsl.com"
<Ashok@core3.amsl.com>
Ö÷Ìâ
Re: [CCAMP] OSPF-TE extensions for G.709 OTN draft submitted:
draft-ashok-ccamp-gmpls-ospf-g709-01

Hello all,

some considerations.

1) Draft Ashok states that

                                                 Max LSP Bandwidth

      Number of OPU TSs =      -------------------------

                                                  Min LSP Bandwidth

This means that the MIN LSP Bandwidth is always set to the nominal size of
1 TS.
So it can have only two values 1.25 and 2.5 Gbit/s.
The min LSP bandwidth for IETF should instead provide the minimum
switching capability. (see RFC4202)

With the above relationship it seems that a NE that supporting ODU1 and
higher rate containers
and exporting interfaces with TS size = 1.25 Gbit/s should always declare
a Min LSP Bandwidth = to 1.25Gbit/s
that is not corresponding to a supported switching capability.

This behavior is absolutely independent from the fact that ODU-flex is
supported or not.

2)      Snip:

¡°Not clear what the issue is.  We have listed 2 approaches in the slides
sent out yesterday. To reiterate the case where ODUflex is not supported:
 With  backward compatibility option, the ODUflex goes in to a separate
sub¨CTLV within SCCI. If ODUflex is not supported on a link, this sub-TLV
will not be included; i.e, ISCD::Max-LSP-BW is not used for ODUflex &
doesn¡¯t become zero.¡±

We would like first to observe that the ashok draft does not report this
specific behavior. Secondary
we would make note that with this approach the MAX-LSP bandwidth in any
case should be interpreted differently
when the ODU-flex capacity is exhausted.
If you think to a bundle link with ODU-flex capacity, then when
UDU-flex capacity is available the MAX-LSP bandwidth is used in a certain
way whereas when the ODU-flex capacity is exhausted the
ODU-flex TLV is no more advertised and MAX-LSP bandwidth behavior is
different.
we do not see a reason that motivates the introduction of this kind of
complication in routing.

3)      Snip:
Thirdly, it can not support priority flexibility, so it is not efficient
from the routing scalability perspective.
[Rajan] {
The whole idea is to stay with the GMPLS architecture already in place.
The technology specific extensions should go into SCSI. This has been done
successfully for SONET/SDH case (Ref to examples in RFC 4202). Do not see
a reason to deviation from the original GMPLS model.
}

The original idea for GMPLS has been already discussed in the frame work
document draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-g709-framework-03. The framework is the
only
reference for requirements that have to be supported. Moreover, as
required by CCAMP chair an example of the difference in efficiency between
the original IETF format
and the new format is shown in the  draft
draft-bccdg-ccamp-gmpls-ospf-agnostic.

[...]

Pietro & Sergio

Pietro Vittorio Grandi
Terrestrial Optics Unit -  System Architecture
Alcatel-Lucent Vimercate (Italy)
Tel: +39 039 686 4930
Mail: pietro_vittorio.grandi@alcatel-lucent.com
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour.
Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a  minute. That's
relativity.
(A. Einstein)