Re: [CDNi] Notes from today's Informal Metadata Meeting

Kevin J Ma <kevin.ma@azukisystems.com> Thu, 01 August 2013 21:47 UTC

From: Kevin J Ma <kevin.ma@azukisystems.com>
To: "Matt Caulfield (mcaulfie)" <mcaulfie@cisco.com>, "cdni@ietf.org" <cdni@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 17:28:51 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [CDNi] Notes from today's Informal Metadata Meeting

wrt:
> Authentication for Acquisition
> The current Source object contains a placeholder for authentication. We
> discussed a simple username/password based authentication method in this
> context and agreed to name the auth object "CredentialsAuth". This object
> could be used for HTTP Basic, FTP, or other transfer methods that require
> a username and password.

Note: there was also discussion of other possible authentication methods
      (e.g., scp identity file, or ssl mutual auth client cert), but the
      basic username/password seemed like the bare minimum in lieu of any
      firm requirements.

There is an obvious security concern with passing credentials through the
metadata interface, especially if the uCDN is going to point the dCDN at
not its own caches/origin, but at a further upstream cache/origin, and is
thus propogating credentials that it received from a CDN further upstream
which has no relationship with that dCDN.  If this is a concern for the
operators or anyone in the WG at large, it would be good to have input?

An alternative would be to have an AuthID pointer that identifies some type
of authentication credentials that were delivered out-of-band?

--  Kevin J. Ma