Re: [CDNi] Long Tail personalized content delivery over CDN Interconnections

Ben Niven-Jenkins <ben@niven-jenkins.co.uk> Sat, 08 September 2012 16:45 UTC

From: Ben Niven-Jenkins <ben@niven-jenkins.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 17:44:48 +0100
To: ramki Krishnan <ramk@Brocade.com>
Cc: cdni@ietf.org, Bhumip.Khasnabish@zte.com.cn
Subject: Re: [CDNi] Long Tail personalized content delivery over CDN Interconnections

Ramki,

On 8 Sep 2012, at 15:35, ramki Krishnan wrote:

> All,
>
> Thanks for the comments so far. A latest version of the draft is posted athttp://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-krishnan-cdni-long-tail/. Kindly review and comment.

It is not clear to me what the draft is trying to articulate or the real problem it is trying to describe.

It starts by describing a problem case where long tail personalised content is not cacheable but then goes on to describe requirements to enable a dCDN to indicate to a uCDN which URLs the dCDN won't bother to cache.

I don't really see how the first leads to the second, i.e. how is the dCDN supposed to know a given URL is "long tail personalised" and therefore uncacheable?

Furthermore it is not clear to me why "long tail personalised" content is a special case. What about "short tail personalised" content?

I think you need to better describe the underlying problem/use case you are trying to solve before starting to define additional requirements to place on the CDNI specifications.

Ben