[CDNi] White-label, wholesale and brokering WAS: New (-01) version of CDNI Use Cases drafts

<trevor.burbridge@bt.com> Fri, 04 February 2011 14:38 UTC

From: trevor.burbridge@bt.com
To: gilles.bertrand@orange-ftgroup.com, cdni@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 14:41:58 +0000
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Subject: [CDNi] White-label, wholesale and brokering WAS: New (-01) version of CDNI Use Cases drafts

In our effort to get the use case revision out promptly we dropped a couple of potential use cases. Id like to consider adding something along the lines of the following use case, potentially under the offload section or as a section on its own:

--

White-label, Wholesale and Brokering

Some companies will desire to offer CDN functions under their own branding, but operated on their behalf by other organisations. Building dedicated CDNs is clearly not as cost effective as being able to virtualise a CDN to look to User Agents and CSPs as if it were multiple CDSPs. Although not strictly interconnection (since only one CDN is actually involved) this model of business will have specific requirements on the UA and CSP interfaces (to maintain the identity of the virtual CDSP), along with the use of interconnection APIs between virtual CDSPs.

An alternative is for one CDSP to operate some part of the CDN functions, but to offload the actual content storage and delivery (e.g. the surrogates) to another CDSP. For example, in this model a 'front-end' CDSP would acquire content and receive the initial routing requests from the user agent, along with compiling the logging for the CSP. Another 'back-end' CDSP operates the content storage and delivery (distribution) functions. Technically the 'back-end' CDSP could provide its own content management and request routing functions, or could expose bare distribution capabilities. This latter approach would require the externalisation of some of the distribution function internal APIs, including sharing knowledge about surrogate locations and capabilities that would otherwise be obfuscated by the CDN. Such interfaces could be developed separately to the initial work on full CDN-interconnection.

Brokering follows from the wholesale model, where a 'front' end' CDSP is able to direct content and requests to multiple CDSPs or storage and delivery capabilities from multiple operators.

--

Trevor.

Trevor Burbridge
Network-Based Services Infrastructure | BT Innovate & Design
Tel: 01473 645115
Fax: 01473 640929

This email contains BT information, which may be privileged or confidential. It's meant only for the individual(s) or entity named above. If you're not the intended recipient, note that disclosing, copying, distributing or using this information is prohibited. If you've received this email in error, please let me know immediately on the email address above. Thank you.
We monitor our email system, and may record your emails.
British Telecommunications plc
Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
Registered in England no: 1800000