Re: [CDNi] Two additional definitions for cdni-framework

"Deventer, M.O. (Oskar) van" <oskar.vandeventer@tno.nl> Thu, 31 May 2012 14:22 UTC

From: "Deventer, M.O. (Oskar) van" <oskar.vandeventer@tno.nl>
To: "cdni@ietf.org" <cdni@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 14:22:34 +0000
x-originating-ip: [134.221.225.153]
Subject: Re: [CDNi] Two additional definitions for cdni-framework

Dear Larry and Francois,

> Yes... Generally, it would be good to do a survey of terminology
> various docs have introduced recently, and converge on the core
> definitions.
CDNi terminology is also under development by the ETSI CDNi activity (ETSI_CDN@list.etsi.org). So while we are harmonizing terminology between IETF documents, we should also consider the relevant ETSI documents.

These are the relevant ETSI document:
Use cases and requirements: http://docbox.etsi.org/MCD/Open/Latest_Drafts/cdn-i013v0011.pdf
Architecture and information flows: http://docbox.etsi.org/TISPAN/Open/NGN_LATEST_DRAFTS/RELEASE_INDEPENDENT/02086_ts182032_cdn-i_architecture_v004.pdf

Here is an initial analysis of CDNi terminology and approaches by ETSI and IETF.

-The terms "distribution" and "delivery" seem to consistent between ETSI and IETF. The first term is intra- and inter-CDN, whereas the second term is about delivery to a user agent.

-There may to be an inconsistency between the IETF and ETSI definitions of Upstream CDN and Downstream CDN. The IETF Problem Statement defines these in terms of redirection (upstream redirects to downstream). ETSI defines these in terms of distribution (upstream closer to Content Provider, downstream closer to Consumer). Especially in case of HAS content, there may be no redirection for individual chunks (segments, fragments), whereas we would still consider the chunk-delivering-CDN the "downstream CDN". Would this require a refinement of the IETF definition?

-Unlike ETSI, IETF has no terminology for segmented content yet. This is work in progress on http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-brandenburg-cdni-has-00.txt, and we are trying to remain aligned.

-The IETF Framework document defines four interfaces (or five, if one counts the moving-of-content), whereas ETSI has only two (or three, if one counts ...). These are the ETSI ones:
   -Interconnection Control: ... is used for controlling interconnection peer and transferred over this point information related to CDN capabilities and status, including footprint exchange, capability exchange, interconnection status reporting and network usage/performance logging.
   -Request Routing and Content Control: ... is used for requesting content and to transfer content related information, including content metadata exchange, content requests and content status reporting.
The reason for having only two interfaces is that having more interfaces than needed takes unnecessary implementation complexity and additional configuration and management effort. Can you tell me why IETF CDNi has four interfaces, and why two is not enough?

-IETF has a rather loose definition of Content: "Any form of digital data [including] continuous media."
ETSI has a more strict and CDNi-functional definition of Content Item: "A uniquely addressable content element in a CDN. A content item is defined by the fact that it has its own Content Metadata associated with it. It is the object of content distribution and request routing operations in a CDN. Example of Content Items are a video file/ stream, an audio file/stream, an image file or segmented content together with an associated manifest file."
Would it make sense to add this definition of "Content Item" to the Problem Statement or Framework documents?

-ETSI distinguishes logging ("recording event ...") from reporting ("providing access to recorded events ..."). This includes the possibility that the dCDN processes the logged information, e.g. into a standardized, possibly aggregated format. IETF uses only the term logging. Does this preclude reporting processed logging information between CDNs?

Depending on the response to this analysis, I would be happy to draft some refined definitions. Thank you.

Best regards,

Oskar

ETSI rapporteur on CDNi work items

Dr. ir. M.O. (Oskar) van Deventer