Re: [CDNi] Some questions regarding draft-ma-cdni-metadata

Kevin J Ma <kevin.ma@azukisystems.com> Mon, 31 October 2011 23:36 UTC

From: Kevin J Ma <kevin.ma@azukisystems.com>
To: Ben Niven-Jenkins <ben@niven-jenkins.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:36:43 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "cdni@ietf.org" <cdni@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CDNi] Some questions regarding draft-ma-cdni-metadata

Hi Ben,

Fair enough.  Is it fair then to say that: though a CP may require more
functionality than the uCDN, there is no reason why the CP cannot use
that subset of functionality provided to uCDNs if it fits a portion
(or all) of the CP needs?

> [...]
> set
> >> of properties that are described in our draft could easily be broken
> out
> >> into a separate document if the consensus of the group is to do so. We
> >> included the base properties and interface specification in a single
> >> document so that readers could see how the interface could be
> constructed
> >> and applied using a set of common base semantics/properties for HTTP
> >> delivery supported by deployed CDNs today.
> >>
> >> So if we put aside the question of where to define the actual
> properties
> >> and their semantics we're left with the data model and
> interface/protocol
> >> itself. So let's compare and contrast some key aspects of flexibility
> >> between the different proposals.
> >>
> >> Cache-ability & Latency:
> >> With the CDNI Metadata model we've proposed we think we've managed to
> >> define a data model that is as simple as possible but no simpler. It
> has a
> >> minimum number of data objects to allow objects that are likely to to
> be
> >> large or reused to be broken out into separate resources to provide
> >> efficiency and at the same time objects that may well have different
> >> cache-ability lifetimes can be broken out into separate resources. The
> >> interface specification allows inlining so that all related objects for
> >> Site can be included in a single request/response so we provide the
> >> ability to have a simple implementation but also the flexibility to
> >> optimise the implementation to balance object size and cache-ability
> >> against number of requests/re-validations required.
> >
> > The protocol in my draft also supports bulk retrieval, but if there is
> > a nuance of inlining that is missing, I could certainly look at it.
> > Though I did not address cacheability, I think it could be applied at
> > the bulk response level as you describe?
>
> My point was not that your proposal couldn't do bulk retrieval but that by
> having a data model that is "too simple" rather than having achieving your
> aim of a "more extensible" model/interface you actually have a
> model/interface that is less flexible and less extensible than ours.
>
> Your model essentially ignores the reality that there are different types
> of CDNI Metadata which are likely to have different "lifetimes" (TTLs),
> different levels of reusability across CDN services & CPs and will contain
> varying amounts of data.
>
> To give just one example: Think about the situation I mentioned earlier of
> a Reseller (or CDN provider) wanting to add their off-shore QA team to all
> Delivery ACLs to enable them to perform QA/troubleshooting/etc. Your model
> provides no ability (that I can see) to avoid having to list all the QA IP
> addresses against every every Metadata record (which are defined per URI)
> in every Domain that will be interconnected. That's a hell of a lot of

The inital draft did not include any specific metadata definitions,
however there is nothing that precludes rich semantic interpretation
of a given metadata value.  It could be thought of more as a layered
data model where from the protocol perspective the data is a simple
opaque string of bytes, but that string may have greater meaning when
taken in the context of the named metadata.

> [...]
> whether
> >> it is specific to a hostname/domain or common across multiple
> >> hostnames/domains. You therefore do not provide any ability for
> >> implementations to optimise based on their knowledge (or configured
> >> policies)  of the different types of data that combine to describe the
> >> CDNI Metadata for a Site/domain/hostname.
> >>
> >> Self-description:
> >> The links between objects in our model and the representations of the
> >> different objects in our model are self-describing through the use of
> >> relationships and media-types within the interface so a client can
> easily
> >> determine what data objects are being referenced and what data objects
> it
> >> is receiving and use the appropriate processing function to interpret
> >> their contents. It is easy to add new data objects to our model if
> >> required by defining new relationships and/or media types. In contrast
> >> your representations aren't self-describing and so force a tighter
> >> coupling between the client and server and they require some out of
> band
> >> process to ensure that coupling is maintained.
> >
> > The individual pieces of metadata have a defined type.  If the CDN
> > supports a given piece of metadata, it will know what the type is.  The
> > metadata distribution protocol, imo, does not need to know the type
> > as long as the CDN who receives the metadata understands it?  Knowing
> > the type is not necessarily enough information to know what to do with
> > it, the full definition of the metadata is required either way?
>
> I don't see anything in your proposal that indicates what the type (or
> protocol version) a particular piece of metadata has so I therefore assume
> it must be known by some other method (e.g. the protocol version is agreed
> out of band, the type is inferred from something) that has the consequence
> of requiring tighter coupling between client & server.
>
> As an example, think through how if your proposal is deployed would you
> migrate to a newer version of the protocol and the level of explicit
> knowledge and coupling between clients & servers required to do so.
>
> With self-describing objects and standard HTTP content negotiation to
> negotiate a version of the objects media-type that both client & server
> support it is, for example, possible to deploy a new protocol version of
> our proposal on the server without requiring any changes on the clients
> while retaining full backward compatibility. Clients than can be upgraded
> independently of one another over a period of time while still retaining
> backwards compatibility.
>
> I don't see any way to do that with your proposal without requiring
> configuration on the server to tell it what version to expect from each
> client and updating that configuration in lock-step with updating the
> client requiring tight client/server coupling and coupled out of band

A version field for the protocol could certainly be added, though, the
initial version could be assumed, until a new version is introduced.
Versioning for the metadata itself I assumed would be part of the
metadata definition, possibly embedded as part of the name field.

> [...]
> of
> >> all the CDNI metadata records they have access to. It also allows the
> uCDN
> >> to define the URI format (and hostname it's provided by) as they see
> fit.
> >> The uCDN has maximum flexibility to organise the different CDNI
> metadata
> >> objects and complete control over how they extend their implementation
> >> support additional data objects or how they support mapping different
> >> dCDNs to different sets of (or versions of) CDNI metadata.
> >>
> >> Your proposal imposes a greater configuration/bootstrapping burden on
> the
> >> dCDN as there is no way for it to discover the domains it has access
> to,
> >> it needs to know the URI/hostname of the uCDN's Metadata interface and
> the
> >> domains to query against that interface. The use of fixed paths in the
> URI
> >> that map to the different data object enforces rigidity on the uCDN's
> CDNI
> >> Metadata implementation (and tight coupling between the client and
> server)
> >> and means that if the uCDN wishes to extend its implementation to
> support
> >> additional objects it risks picking paths that may later clash with
> paths
> >> defined by newer versions of your protocol.
> >
> > Your SiteFeed object provides Site information (which is fairly
> analogous
> > to domain information).  Domain information could also be put into a
> feed,
> > however, I assume that business processes drive what goes into the
> SiteFeed.
>
> Of course it's possible to modify your proposal to look more like ours :-)
> but my overall argument is that our proposal does everything yours does in
> a more flexible & extensible way with the exception of defining an Agent
> object which isn't relevant to CDNI Metadata anyway.
>
> > Is the SiteFeed configured offline, as part of some business process?
> > If so, then is it better to configure Site information as a feed in
> > the uCDN, or as domains in the dCDN.  I do not have a strong feeling
> > either way, but I do not see our schemes as being so different.
>
> They're not the same thing though. The SiteFeed enables a dCDN to
> bootstrap itself. Whether it is configured offline or automatically
> generated by the uCDN based on some configured policy and/or other data it
> has automatically obtained (e.g. another SiteFeed when the uCDN is acting
> as a dCDN for another CDN) is an implementation decision for each
> individual CDN.
>
> Your proposal doesn't include a proposal for bootstrapping unless you're
> suggesting the uCDN POST Domains into the dCDN in advance of the dCDN
> requiring the associated CDNI Metadata (but your draft doesn't propose

That is certainly an option.  Though how to bootstrap is not explicitly
defined, the tools necessary to do so (i.e., the POST APIs) are provided.

thanx.

--  Kevin J. Ma