Re: [CDNi] FW: New Version Notification for draft-leung-cdni-uri-signing-04.txt

Kevin J Ma <kevin.ma@azukisystems.com> Wed, 26 February 2014 00:52 UTC

From: Kevin J Ma <kevin.ma@azukisystems.com>
To: "Kent Leung (kleung)" <kleung@cisco.com>, "cdni@ietf.org" <cdni@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 19:52:14 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [CDNi] FW: New Version Notification for draft-leung-cdni-uri-signing-04.txt

Hi Kent,

  Read through the updated draft; couple of comments below.

thanx.

--  Kevin J. Ma

- general: "CDNI <XXX> Interface" -> "CDNI <XXX> interface"
           Francois made this comment on the metadata draft, so I
           assume it would apply to url signing as well.

- section 2.4: "encoding sheme" -> "encoding scheme"

- section 3: "step 5a-5b" -> "step 5"
             note: step 4 just says "step 4"

             step 6(A)(c): "an URI" -> "a URI"

             steps 6(A)(e) and 6(B)(e) are not really steps?
             They're just making statements about what the messages look
             like up through steps 6(A/B)(d)?  Should they just be a
             comments?

             steps 6(A)(f) and 6(B)(g): Since the values in the "query
             string" are not actually going to go into the actual URI,
             there's no need to perform URL encoding.  We should just
             remove that text (and possibly add a note about it)?

             step 6(B)(f): Where is the message digest used?

             second step 2: I decoded the base64 encoded value and it
             does not match the value in second step 1?

             "VER=1&ET=1209422976&CIP=10.0.0.1&KID=foobar:keys:123&
              HF=SHA-1&MD=4fb1c1adf1588fbe11cc6a04c6e69f35" !=
             "VER=1&ET=1209422976&CIP=10.0.0.1&KID=example:keys:123&
              HF=SHA-256&MD=4fb1c1adf1588fbe11cc6a04c6e69f35"

             "VkVSPTEmRVQ9MTIwOTQyMjk3NiZDSVA9MTAuMC4wLjEm
              S0lEPWZvb2JhcjprZXlzOjEyMyZIRj1TSEEtMSZNRD00
              ZmIxYzFhZGYxNTg4ZmJlMTFjYzZhMDRjNmU2OWYzNQ==" ->
             "VkVSPTEmRVQ9MTIwOTQyMjk3NiZDSVA9MTAuMC4wLjEm
              S0lEPWV4YW1wbGU6a2V5czoxMjMmSEY9U0hBLTI1NiZN
              RD00ZmIxYzFhZGYxNTg4ZmJlMTFjYzZhMDRjNmU2OWYzNQ=="?

- section 4: The first paragraph discusses signing being enabled.
             Should it also mention checking the allowable set of dCDNs?

             in the first step 3, should we check that the VER is
             within the allowable VER set?  If it's not, I assume we
             would want to deny the request?  Should we state that?

             in step 8, if both MD and DS are specified, should we
             deny the request?

             in the second step 1 or 2, not only does the scheme need
             to be removed, but any query string parameters after the
             first URISigningPackage parameter also need to be
             discarded before beginning step 3?

             steps 4(A)(a) and 4(B)(a): if the KID is found but
             doesn't match the metadata config, or if a KID cannot be
             found in either the URISigningPackage or the
             metadata/config, or if the specified KID is not in the
             allowable KID set, I assume we would want to deny the
             request?  Should we state that?

             step 4(A)(b): HF has a default.  Is it expected that the
             default would be part of the config/metadata?  If the
             specified HF is not in the allowable HF set, I assume we
             would want to deny the request?  Should we state that?

             steps 4(A)(f) and 4(B)(e): Since the values were never
             actually in the actual URI, there's no need to perform
             URL decoding.  We should just remove that text (and
             possibly add a note about it)?

             step 4(B)(b): Should there be an extraction step for DSA,
             with consideration for the default value?

             step 4(B)(e): Should this be a digital signature using
             the EC DSA algorithm?

- section 5.4: "URI for a content" -> "URI for content"

- section 5.5: "allowed values are:" should be before the list of values.

- sections 6.1 and 6.2: missing periods in the steps
                        inconsistent "z" usage for authori[s|z]ation
                        (step 4 of figure 4: capitalize Authori[s|z]ation)

- section 6.2: "URI Signing does match" -> "URI Signing does not match"

    "With DNS-based request routing, URI Signing does match well the
     general chain of trust model of CDNI when used with symmetric keys
     because the symmetric key information needs to be distributed across
     multiple CDNI hops including non-adjacent hops."

- section 9: "approriate" -> "appropriate"
             "In general it" -> "In general, it"