Re: [Cellar] WG Review: Media Type Maintenance (mediaman) (fwd) tom petch: Re: WG Review: Media Type Maintenance (mediaman)

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Sun, 04 July 2021 23:00 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: cellar@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 19:00:20 -0400
Subject: Re: [Cellar] WG Review: Media Type Maintenance (mediaman) (fwd) tom petch: Re: WG Review: Media Type Maintenance (mediaman)

Hi, the members of this WG might like to comment on the charter for this new
WG.  please use the "media-types@ietf.org" list.

It may be that there should be some cross-discussion about this new
"haptics" top-level MIME type with CELLAR when the WG is chartered.

I've forwarded the entire email, but I wanted to highlight:

> A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Applications and Real-Time Area. The
> IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was
> submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send your
> comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg@ietf.org) by 2021-07-12.
>
> Media Type Maintenance (mediaman)
>
> Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/mediaman/
>
> Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-mediaman/

> The registration of a top-level media type is a rare event.  BCP 13 describes
> the process for doing so, as was used in RFC 8081, but it does not provide
> any guidance or criteria regarding what constitutes an appropriate
> registration.

> * Develop and process the pending ‘haptics’ top-level media type request,
> based on draft-muthusamy-dispatch-haptics, and the outcome of the previous
> work item.

and from draft-muthusamy-dispatch-haptics:

2.  Background and Justification

   Haptic signals provide an additional layer of entertainment and
   sensory immersion for the user.  Haptic tracks, in separate files,
   can be combined with audio/video files and played back in sync to
   provide an overall immersive media experience (audio, visual,
   tactile) for the user.  More recently, haptic tracks embedded in
   standard file formats such as ISOBMFF (ISO Base Media File Format),
   enable playback of the haptic signals over one or more actuators,
   simultaneously with audio and video playback.

--- Begin Message ---
A small tweak.

Most of the discussions I see about media types relate to NETCONF and
YANG.  The text below talks of programming languages.  I would like that
expanded to be clear that it includes YANG, if not all such DDL.

The registrations thereof might have been different had multiple
suffixes been specified.

Tom Petch