Re: [Cellar] [cellar-wg/matroska-specification] Consider providing a facility for integer-fraction timescales (#422)

Dave Rice <dave@dericed.com> Mon, 07 September 2020 13:56 UTC

From: Dave Rice <dave@dericed.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 09:56:42 -0400
To: Codec Encoding for LossLess Archiving and Realtime transmission <cellar@ietf.org>, cellar-wg/matroska-specification <reply+AAF2F3BLDZGLCVLNLXZDM3N5MGI5NEVBNHHCSZ7WDU@reply.github.com>
Subject: Re: [Cellar] [cellar-wg/matroska-specification] Consider providing a facility for integer-fraction timescales (#422)

Hi,
I see this was brought up as an issue in the GitHub repository and am cross-posting to the cellar working group.

> [...]
> e(120000)    => -0.432
> e(240000)    => 0.8639
> e(480000)    => -1.7283
>
> ce(30000)    => 0.216
> fe(60000)    => -0.432
> ce(120000)   => 0.8639
> fe(240000)   => -1.7283
> ce(480000)   => 3.4549
> As we can see, rounding common video and audio frame rates (including e.g. the least common multiple of 24 and 60 for that VFR case) produces a negligible amount of error over a reasonable duration. This means that for content where all timestamps can reasonably be expressed in integer values of those rates, there would be no significant error over common file durations, even if different streams were muxed with different time bases.
>
> There are a few real-world time bases that would produce significant rounding error (upwards of 100ms) over the course of 3 hours when used in existing players: MPEGTS's 90000Hz, all common raw audio sample rates, and least-common-multiples between integer and NTSC video frame rates. This essentially means that mixing these rates with others would produce significant desync over a reasonable duration for static on-disk content; the same issue could occur when muxing very lengthy content (e.g. streaming).
>
> All of these issues can be addressed in one of the following ways:
>
> Using a lower rate (e.g. 90,000Hz isn't usually the real content rate but instead an artifact of its previous container; expressing timestamps in samples rather than frames is usually unnecessary)
> Choosing the highest of the input rates for all streams (e.g. 48000 is a multiple of many common frame rates, including 24/1.001)
> Choosing a more precise common-multiple rate that may create a larger total drift, but does so equally for all streams (see the "Common multiples" section; 1/30000 is suitable for mixing 24fps and 30/1.001fps content alongside most common framed audio rates, while the later listed bases are suitable for increasingly large sets).
> Round some tracks' nanosecond timescales in the opposite direction, creating a larger drift, but potentially one with the same sign (and thus a closer value) as the drift in other tracks (this is probably too complex and niche to have substantial use)
> Fall back to classic rounded nanosecond-based timestamps (and don't write an integer-fraction time base at all)
> Use the extension, resulting in significant sync drift in older players that haven't implemented the change
> This last option is usually unacceptable, but may be fine for files that use codecs that become available after the change is made (and thus are unavoidably non-backwards-compatible anyway).
>
> If combined with clear advice in the spec on how muxers SHOULD (or MAY) decide on time bases for various possible input cases, I think this extension could get actual adoption in muxers and solve one of the format's longest-standing problems.

This has been discussed on the list before though I don’t remember clear consensus on how to address this. Steve even compiled a list of discussions on this at https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/cellar/ZpZxhG1gML9xVx_ir1Jf6_gcI8U/ <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/cellar/ZpZxhG1gML9xVx_ir1Jf6_gcI8U/>.

I proposed an option in this https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/cellar/mTprgjNqVbe20e6hyYxns8ZnVwY/ <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/cellar/mTprgjNqVbe20e6hyYxns8ZnVwY/> where one of the existing reserved bits of the Block Header (in the byte that contains the keyframe, invisible, and lacing flags) be used as a flag for Timescale Alignment.

With this approach, new elements could be added to the track header with a numerator and denominator of a rationale time scale and if Timescale Alignment were set to true, then the nearest increment of the rationale time scale would be used. Example:

> Thus if the frame rate of the track header is 120000/1001, then
>
> If Matroska timecode is 4 and Enable TimeScale Alignment is 0, than it is at 4 / (1000000000 / TimecodeScale ).
> If Matroska timecode is 4 and Enable TimeScale Alignment is 1, than it is at 0 / 1200000 (nearest increment of the rationale frame rate).
>
> If Matroska timecode is 17 and Enable TimeScale Alignment is 0, than it is at 17 / (1000000000 / TimecodeScale ).
> If Matroska timecode is 17 and Enable TimeScale Alignment is 1, than it is at 2002 / 1200000 (nearest increment of the rationale frame rate).

In a Matroska demuxer doesn’t understand the new nom/denom elements or the Alignment flag then it would simply use the existing nanosecond timestamp system.

In that thread there were other proposals, for example Steve discussed using a float to depict a point in time.
Dave