Re: [Cfrg] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-turner-md2-to-historic-00.txt]

Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com> Tue, 06 July 2010 16:47 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:40:21 -0400
From: Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com>
To: saag@ietf.org, smime@ietf.org, pkix@ietf.org, cfrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [Cfrg] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-turner-md2-to-historic-00.txt]

To summarize the comments I received on this I-D:

1) Finally!

2) Is there any precedent with moving informational to historic.

Russ suggested I ask Scott Bradner what he thought about this.  His
response (repeated here with permission):

"1/ my personal view is that historic should be only used for
  cases where we want to say 'do not use'

  2/ seems like a reasonable thing to do in this case

  fwiw, I have always felt that it is important to document
  any such move that is done for a real reason (not just because
  people think it is not used) with a RFC"

I'd consider this support for moving informational RFCs to historic.

3) Why target MD2?

This was really a trial balloon.  I'm planning on doing something with
MD4 and MD5 too ;)

4) It's better to have a security algorithms roadmap.

I tend to agree, but I thought I was shooting for the low hanging fruit.

5) Remove keywords and delete obsolete references.

Anything to track less references is a good thing!

6) Do an updates document instead, because there might still be other
uses for MD2/MD4/MD5 that don't require collision resistance (e.g., HMAC).

I'd like to treat MD2/MD4/MD5 the same, but some HMAC uses are
probably still okay for a little while (at least that what's I'm
turning up through research). But, I can't really see us saying that
HAMC-MD2 and HMAC-MD4 are okay to keep using in the mid/long term.  I
think we ought to be saying "jump off the sinking ship now" because it
takes a while for crypto to go away just like it does to get fielded.
  Luckily, there are only a few places where HMAC-MD2 or HMAC-MD4 are
specified.  MD5/HMAC-MD5 is another story.  I like the idea of just
updating MD5's security considerations to say don't use MD5 if you
need collision resistance and that it is (or is probably) okay for HMAC.

I updated the md2-to-historic I-D
(http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-turner-md2-to-historic/) to
actually talk about attacks against MD2 and submitted a similar draft
for MD4 (http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-turner-md4-to-historic/).
  I also submitted one that updates the MD5 security considerations
(http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-turner-md5-seccon-update/).
Comments on all are welcome.

spt