Re: [Cfrg] Asking comments: New Version Notification for draft-kiyomoto-kcipher2-00

"Wook Shin" <wookshin@kddilabs.jp> Tue, 12 April 2011 09:38 UTC

To: cfrg@irtf.org, Joachim Strömbergson <Joachim@strombergson.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 18:38:01 +0900
From: Wook Shin <wookshin@kddilabs.jp>
Subject: Re: [Cfrg] Asking comments: New Version Notification for draft-kiyomoto-kcipher2-00

Hello Joachim,

> This is where soo many cipher designers go wrong. From an implementer
> point of view having access to test vectors and a simple, functional
> reference model which matches the algorithm description is almost
> essential. Unfortunately test vectors is rare. And a good, reference
> model is rarer still.
>
> What you often get is an implementation which is unrolled or in other
> ways reorganized for maximum speed, have variable names not matching the
> written algorithm description, lacks comments is generally written in
> badly coded C.
>
> Yes, a version optimized for speed is good too, but that comes after
> having the functionality down. And using single letter variable names,
> bad intendation and lack of comments does not lead to faster
> implementations.
>
> So, please if possible, include the simplest, cleanest, well coded, well
> documented albeit slowest implementation that is self contained (besides
> stdint, stdio etc) do as little macros, typedefs etc as possible. And
> compiles easily.

I really appreciate your comments. Due to my lack of experience in the
standardization process and the field of cryptography, I think I
misunderstood the purpose of the standardization and the use of test
vectors. Now I can see what Jim and Jon were looking for.

I will revise the draft and rewrite the codes, so that the procedures
in the implementation can be shown clearly.

Thank you again,

Wook

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 15:39:02 +0900, Joachim Strömbergson