Re: [Cfrg] IVs in the "authenticated encryption" draft

daw@cs.berkeley.edu (David Wagner) Fri, 15 September 2006 18:32 UTC

To: cfrg@ietf.org
From: daw@cs.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: isaac.lists.ietf-cfrg
Subject: Re: [Cfrg] IVs in the "authenticated encryption" draft
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 18:25:42 +0000

David McGrew  wrote:
>if you've read the draft, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on
>the use of IVs in that document.  Currently, the IV is an *output* of
>the encryption process, rather than an input to it.  This property
>puts IV generation into the crypto process, which simplifies the
>interface for most users and eliminates the risk of security problems
>due to inappropriate IV generation by the user.   However, this
>property adds some complexity; in order to support the use of
>deterministic IVs when a single key is used by multiple encryptors,
>it was necessary to add an "IV" contribution field.
>
>I very much like the idea of having an interface that is harder to
>misuse, but I'm now wondering if that goal is "one too many" for the
>current draft.  Perhaps it would be better to allow the IVs to be
>inputs, as is more conventional, which would allow this draft to get
>finished more quickly, and then to consider a user-proof interface in
>some separate future work, if that would be useful.  I've heard
>comments on both sides of this issue, and I'd like to gauge the
>general feeling of the group, so I'd value your opinion.

Have you considered factoring this out into two draft documents?

  Document #1: Documents AEAD modes that take an IV as input.

  Document #2: Documents IV generation processes that take an IV
  contribution as input and produce an IV as output.

This seems like a third option you could consider.  Would it be a
better compromise?  This way, folks could mix-and-match: if they want
or have an AEAD mode that takes an IV as input, they can use
Document #1 for guidance; if they have or want an AEAD mode that
takes an IV contribution as input and produces an IV as output, they
can use the composition of Documents #1 and #2 for guidance.