Re: [CGA-EXT] WGLC for draft-ietf-csi-hash-threat-10.txt

Roque Gagliano <rogaglia@cisco.com> Fri, 23 July 2010 11:33 UTC

From: Roque Gagliano <rogaglia@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:33:16 +0200
To: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
Cc: "Laganier, Julien" <julienl@qualcomm.com>, "cga-ext@ietf.org" <cga-ext@ietf.org>, Jari Arkko <Jari.Arkko@ericsson.com>, Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [CGA-EXT] WGLC for draft-ietf-csi-hash-threat-10.txt

Hi,

I first would like to say that I am very pleased with the outcome of the review process. Particularly Section 3.2 addresses some of the concerns I raised after WG last-call.

I do have some additional comments:

1) I still find odds that the document talks about MD5 and SHA-1 hashing in the PKIX certificate when the only current algorithm described in the cert-profile document (taken from the SIDR document) is SHA-256, there should not be any MD5 or SHA-1 used for signature for the PKIX certificates for SEND. Moreover, there is no reference to MD5 in the RFC3971.

2) I would also add a reference to the cert-profile document.

3) The attack on 3.2 has not "yet" been demonstrated for SHA-256. That should be clarified.

4) By adding the SKI Trust Anchor identifier (draft-ietf-csi-send-name-type-registry), we are also adding another use of hashes in SEND. There is some text in the security section of that document about the effect of a collision affecting the SKI. You could also add this particular text.

Regards,

Roque